My name is TARA. I am planning a wedding with the man I love, while
trying to beat an aggressive cancer that has returned. My local surgeons
have only proposed more chemotherapy.
I do not believe this is my
only hope? I have done masses of research, to find out if I can have any
another treatments, standard or complimentary, either in the US or
Each way I turn, the costs for treatment are terrifying. No
one talks about the cost of cancer. And I am determined to try and find a
way to stay alive.
So I am asking for help....
If you want to
you can donate below, hold a coffee morning, sell some cakes, organise a
marathon...anything will help. And I’m so grateful for any help at all.
You can also help by sharing my story,
want to help other women and raise awareness about the difficulties
facing ladies with Ovarian Cancer in the US. There are hundreds of brave
women who simply cannot access these drugs due to the fact that they
n the middle of planning to join my Jousting Team , I was diagnosed with
cancer. Life came to a halt. I had a total of 9-10" of cancer removed
from my ovaries/pelvis, along with some internal organs, stomach wall
and stomach apron. I had two big abdominal surgeries followed by a
combination of two aggressive chemotherapies. At the same time, I had a
double-whammy diagnosis of being BRCA +
. That was also devastating.
Anyway, treatment knocked things on the head for 10 months. My cancer
has returned at a fast rate. I do not want to be another statistic. But
to beat it or try, I need help.
The last year has been a rollercoaster. Every month, I was petrified that I would be told it had come back.
dreams that my fiancé and I held, are getting harder- We lost our baby
and chance of starting a family, so now, the priority is to concentrate
on staying alive.
At the speed this cancer grows, I need to start
treatment very soon. The immediate chance I have found, is a large
surgery, proposed by a radical surgeon in seatle. This would be bigger
than the last two operations, and would be followed by 6 more months of
chemotherapy, plus ideally a new maintenance drug, a PARP Inhibitor
called Olaparib. This sounds like a plan right?
Here is the problem....
Because this will be my 2nd time on
chemo, and not my 3rd time, Olaparib isn’t available to me on the NHS.
Despite the fact that this treatment might work, the drugs are not
licensed for a 1st recurrence for ovarian cancer .
I’ve no choice but to pay for the drug.
This drug costs approximately 60,000$ for just over a year.
have put myself on an extensive Supplement Protocol combined with
complementary therapies, which appears to be slowing the progression of
the cancer and helps to keep pain down, but to have treatment in seatle,
and to carry on with this Protocol, I am looking at total costs around
6486$ with travel, consultations, accomodation near the hospital etc.
Included within this, I would also like to take part in a cancer drug
trial, which is showing promising results.
My fiance and family
have helped me hugely, and I have had savings that I have poured into
treatments up to this point. However, it is becomingly increasingly
difficult to fund or even contemplate, the upcoming costs.
So this is
where I am asking for help. If we can find enough people who are
willing to donate the cost of what they’d spend on a beer or a coffee,
I’d have enough to start a course of treatment.
The minimum I need to raise is 6486$, but if I ever got to 60,000 $ for the drug that might save me, then I can only try?
Phase 1 of my goal is 6,486$
Phase 2 of my goal is 60,000$ for Olaparib or over and above that to be able to consider cancer treatment .
the case of anything happening to me during this time, all proceeds
remaining will be split between Children's Cancer Research Fund and
Cancer Research Institute.
In the event of any new drugs coming on
the market, or research trials, I will use remaining funds to carry on
my research protocol and towards continuing treatments either in US or