Stand Tall, Get Snapped: 30 HIV+ People UK TOUR
- The project was created by Edo Zollo, London-based Photographer. http://www.edlondonphotography.co.uk, Edo was determined to undertake this project with the intention to expose the still widely held misconception that HIV is largely restricted to gay men and people of black African origin. In addition to that, he wanted to offer affected individuals a unique opportunity to share their experiences by being included in this photographic exhibition"
- 2012 marked the 30th anniversary since Terrence Higgins, one of the first men to die of an AIDS related illness in the UK, was officially recognised by the NHS and it was also the recognition of HIV and AIDS as an epidemic by the American Medical Authority.
- Over the past year Edo has travelled photographing 30 people living with HIV, young to old, female and male, non-white and white, straight and gay. The most recently diagnosed was 3 months ago and the longest, 28 years living with HIV.
- The project also gained a lot of media attention and articles were seen in National press, International news websites, The British Medical Association, HIV magazines, LGBT magazines. The project also gained the support of Stephen Fry, who is a passionate HIV activist. We also appeared on BBC Radio. This meant that, potentially, we reached an audience of around 10,000,000 people across the globe.
- We were absolutely thrilled, and we believe that the exhibition is helping in the fight against the stigma that still surrounds HIV.
- With the huge success of the run in London, the exhibition is going on tour around the UK, and our first stop is in Manchester in February!
- We are also opening in Brighton in April, Stoke-On-Trent in May, Glasgow in July, Northern Ireland in September and The University Of Hertfordshire in November.
- Up to now the project was created, developed and run completely with Edo Zollo's money only, no sponsors, no funds or financial support. It has been difficult but he did it and we are very proud of his achievement.
- Yet, it is clear that Edo Zollo can't cover the UK Tour's cost alone, hence why we have created this fundraising page. With your help, the Stand Tall Team and Edo will be able to cover the costs for each city they are going to.
- We are determined to make the tour as transparent as possible, please find below the UK TOUR BUDGET copy and paste this link below (its a webpage)
- We truly believe we can lead the way to change people's perception of what it means to be HIV+.
Yours,Stand Tall Get Snapped Team & Edo Zollo, Photographer-Project Originator