My name is Violet Polelo Selwana, an African woman born from a rural village called Seabe Mpumalanga Province, but here up in a township called Mabopane (Gauteng Province). I am woman who believes that nothing is impossible regardless of the circumstances that is in. I am organised, accountable, hard-working, friendly, passionate about Leadership and Change.
I am the first child to University by the name of Rhodes University studying towards Bachelor of commerce majors Information systems and Management. I believe that I am the product of my family's influence and background; the way that I view the world has been moulded and shaped by my siblings who continue to be a source of motivation and inspiration in my life.Though I’m in need of flight financial assistance to realise what has been a long-term goal for me and a dream to come true.
I would like to combat socio-economic ills within South African society focused on Sustainable Development Goals such as Poverty, Education and striving to be a leader that will advocate for social justice and economic advancement. I seek to attend the upcoming Hult Prize Summit (ChangeMaker Festival) that will bring together 10000+ youth to celebrate impact, entrepreneurship and learning-in the centre of the historic and picturesque city of Beirut (Lebanon) a, which overlooks the Mediterranean sea It will be held at Beirut in Lebanon from the 26th to 30th June 2019.
The week-long event will feature more than 60 free workshops, a local TEDx event, prominent speakers and panellists, a start-up showcase ,multiple pitching competitions, networking opportunities with investors with investors. www.hultprize.org/global-summit/ .
Tony Robbins even says “ what you focus on you attract”. Have you ever had a problem and thought about it the worse it seemed to get? That’s the same idea, as you think about the problem more, but nothing gets fixed.
Skills I Possess
I have proven track of my excellent communication and interpersonal skills with record of student leadership and public organisations. Also I have gained valuable leadership skills and experience through social engagement and access. Willing to learn , Team working, Entrepreneurial and fund-raising skills, Numeracy, Organising , Project Management, System Development projects, Coding ( html, CSS, Microsoft Visio code/studio, Microsoft office) , Problem solving,Fast learner, proactive, Commitment and self awareness.
Achievements and Awards 2018/9
• Top 500 Student Leader “ GradStar awards” across universities in South Africa.
• Certificate of engaged student from Rhodes University Community Engagement as part of my volunteering work.
• Certificate of completion , member of Activate Leadership Changes Drivers Programmes in South Africa.
• Certificate of completion of successful On Campus Programme for Hult Prize at Rhodes University.
• Certificate of appreciation as Campus Director for Hult Prize Rhodes University from Hult Prize Foundation.
Leadership Current Roles
• Alumni for International Global Network Events (AYIMUN,AWMUN,SASAMBO,YOUTEX, GGMUN Etc)- A network where we connect youth and future leaders to the world. http://globalgoalsmun.org
• Campus Director for Hult Prize Rhodes University 2018/2019
( Hult Prize Foundation) is a global movement engine that is in partnership with the United Nations where I work with students across the world focused on student entrepreneurship and start-ups. http://www.hultprizeat.com/rhodes
• Ambassador and Master Mentor of the New York Academy of Science (NYAS) a global stem alliance (1000girls 1000futures). 1000girls1000futures is a groundbreaking initiative designed to engage young women interested in Science,Technology, Entrepreneurial and Math (STEM). Advance their pursuit of STEM careers through mentoring and 21st Century skills development. https://www.nyas.org
• Activator in the Activate Leadership Changes Drivers a national network of young leaders equipped to drive change for the public good across South Africa.
• Alumni and former Marketing Director of Enactus Rhodes University .Enactus is a community if students ,academics and business leaders committed to using the power of entrepreneurial action to transform lives and shape a better more sustainable world and a curious and keen focusing on achieving the three bottom line principles and United Sustainable Goals.
• Social Media Administrator, Volunteer, Former Student Leader and Facilitator Environmental Clubs for Children of the Soil (COTS) non-profit organization which focuses on teaching and fostering environmental awareness amongst youth around environmental preservation issues , initiatives in Grahamstown community.
• For the past 3 years, I have been participating in various community engagement activities in different departments at Rhodes University that were aimed at empowering various members of the society ( See Curriculum Vitae).
MY REASONS OF INTEREST AS A LEADER
I Seek to grow and further enhance my leadership skills and have a positive impact on society at large.I subscribe of philosophy of Servant Leadership because I seek to serve other people to ensure their wellbeing and growth in our society. As a servant leader, I always pledge to Listen, Encourage, Advise, Emphasise, Deliver and Respect ( LEADER). These responsibilities are of interest to me to learn and grow into it. I will have the opportunity to either initiate a sustainable development project that will impact the youth.
WHY SHOULD I BE SPONSORED
I believe being part of the Hult Prize Global Summit will give me the opportunity to help me improve, grow and contribute positively to my extra career currliculum of leadership lessons with MOGI Global Leadership School an online school of emerging leaders in the world. Also I will grow my goal-setting capabilities, self-reliance, independence and personal growth. It will also equip my professional skills working with different people.
I see this as the greatest opportunity, which will be beneficial in terms of gaining more knowledge and motivation as a youth leader to make my dreams come true. Through lived experiences, I have noted the harsh realities of poverty and marginalisation experienced by many South Africans in rural areas. I am wholeheartedly motivated towards bridging the widening gap between the privileged and unprivileged members our society through my education and knowledge. Furthermore, I believe I was born to make a valuable contribution through my personal accomplishments coupled by my drive and perseverance through hard conditions. My values are that of accountability, excellence , integrity, respect, trust, Open communication and I believe they are great qualities of enabling me to be a great asset to invest in.