There are millions of children trapped in slavery worldwide and about 215 million child labourers are engaged in several economic activities in the world today and that 60% of them work in agricultural sector including fishing and aqua culture. In Ghana approximately 21.8% (1.9 million) of children aged between 5 and 17 are engaged in child labour with 14.2% (1.2million) of the children engaged in hazardous child labour as defined by the law. Numerous children slaving in canoes, in deep waters at the so call of their “masters” an act which is in absolute violation of the law.
The children are given out by the parents mainly as a result of poverty, these children are compelled by their "masters" to endure the worst form of child labour including diving into the water to track fish movement or unwinding fishing nets from tree stumps in the water, paddling or tossing out water from the canoes, pulling fishing nets, picking and sorting fish and mending nets among other jobs. These kinds of ruthless endangerment expose the children to high level of risks as they are not provided with any form of safety gears in such hazardous conditions
They are confronting with various injuries and health problems such as bites/stings from fishes, cuts, fish poisoning, bruises, broken bones, abrasions, back injuries, blistered hands , feet and head injuries burns, visual impairment etc.
Major dangers are exposed to the children and several of them are trapped in the menace and their future looks very bleak.Just as you can see the photos in the gallery.We are raising funds to construct a development centre.
Thousands of children like Godwin, Richard and Vincent* in Ghana live in
slavery on Lake Volta. These children are between 6 and 18 years old and
working up to 18 hours a day in the fishing industry. They are paid in
daily abuse and threats, and the only way out is to drown or be rescued.
One small boy. One huge lake.Richard was a slave. Immerse yourself in his story.
OBJECTIVES: These goals will be supported by a focus on five key areas:
- 1 Establish a well equipped education centre with the relevant technology to promote a competitive edge in a fast paced globalizing world.
- 2 Establish a well equipped vocational training centre
- 3 Provision of affordable quality education
- 4 Skills train for children and the youth and promote enhanced organizational capacity building, entrepreneurship and innovation to solve unemployment situation
- 5 Establish arts and culture centre.
- Every donation will be directed towards the project without administrative cost and no little amount is valueless join others to make the project a reality.
- Together with our supporters, we are ending child slavery in Ghana.
- Thank you.