I Visited an old age home recently and surveyed the senior citizens living in the community and was in for a surprise to know majority of them were ready to earn their own living even after their retirement. They don't like the idea of being idle. They are wanting to earn their own living by way of contributing something to the society but, it is the lack of resources and forward push suppressing them.
Below mentioned are things that Interest them:
- Become a Trainer
Those who were good enough in their crafts while working are ready to conduct classroom or practical training and earn from it. Just a short but beneficial training would do the trick.
- Tutor Kids
Certain people like the idea of tutoring kids, tutoring to a particular subject they are interested; or be a personal academic tutor. Work will be based on the agreed study time with the parents.
- Pay Bills and Do Errands for the Neighbourhood
People are most of the time too busy to run errands or pay their bills. This is also a good business with an easy task .Can get started with the neighbourhood. Pay and do errands on their behalf for a minimum fee.
- Sell Cooked Meals
The prepared food can be easily sold for a competitive price. A good trick is to look for offices (it can be the place of previous employment). Negotiate with their HR team and have a contract with them. By doing this, profit is assured.
Kids love sweets. The best place to sell your baked goods is in a school. To make them nutritious, do some twists by making them veggie or fruit flavoured without losing the usual sweet taste.
People who have an interest in decoration, mainly those made for homes, are ready to make various home related products that can be sold in the local bazaar or Set up an art exhibit at a local business, sell the creations, and make money.
- Knowledge about computers ( Time consuming process but, beneficial)
Hire a student(preferably a graduate) who has knowledge about computers to educate them about its uses , about blogging and various other internet jobs that they could do at one place and also Some ideas that help restore computers that have been crippled by viruses, take backups, fix computers that are slow.- Experienced people – can share their experiences.
- Be a doula
Basically, this involves experience as a mother to help families with a new baby.
Providing an ironing service in the neighbourhood could be the answer to cash-flow problems. It can be done from the most convenient place and the set-up costs are minimal.
- Growing own fruit or vegetables and selling them for a profit. Start by gardening for friends and neighbours. Can also make their own compost and sell it. If they spread the word, they end up with more paid work. Need not necessarily be an expert. A good gardening book would solve the purpose or get some advice from a local garden centre helpdesk.
- Conducting Mental exercises in schools like solving puzzles and doing mathematical calculations without using paper and pencil, from which students would benefit.
How the fund will be used:
- The above mentioned ideas require resources, space and contacts.
- The fund collected will be used to build a mini multi-purpose hall where training sessions can be held, have birthday parties of residents, tutor students or let it out to outsiders.
- Transportation required to run errands for the neighbourhood.
- A mini kitchen to be set up to cook meals and market them.
- Acquiring a few personal computers to learn. ( Hiring a student to educate them)
- Addressing things which are of their interests like ironing, photography etc.
- Seeds and fertilizers for growing their crops.
- Reading books is something that the majority of senior citizens like to do. Presenting them library memberships would get the supply of their favourite books all through the year. A certain amount of the fund collected will be donated to a home taking care of destitute and aged woman on occasion of International woman's day which falls on 8th of march every year.
The elderly citizens are in need of urgent attention. They do not need our pity but, the understanding love and care of their fellow human beings. It is our duty to see that they do not spend the twilight years of their life in isolation, pain and misery. Seniors have important roles to play in society, and the degree to which we recognize their wisdom and experience will have long-term impacts for any community. Please do respect their feelings and do the needful.