On July 07, My sister was rushed to the nearest hospital due to heart disease. She is 27 weeks pregnant by that time and confined her under Intensive Care Unit (ICU) due to her heartbeat rate getting slow. We are praying and hoping that her condition won't affect the baby on her womb.
On 8 to 10 of July, she experienced preterm labor and her OB team needed to do emergency caesarian to save the baby. The baby born 26 weeks on July 10 and miraculously alive, but must admitted to the NICU department of Sta. Rosa Hospital due to his poor condition. The father of the baby (my brother-in-law), gave instructions to the nurse of the hospital to conduct DNR (Do not resuscitate) to the baby as he cannot afford the hospitalisation of their son due to financial problems and afraid that the baby will not become normal because he was preterm baby and thinking that the medicines that her mother had taken during her pregnancy might affect the development of the baby. We felt sad and angry on the decision that they made, because we’re pity of the baby. All the laboratories and medicines needed by the baby were cut down because of their decision, they want to end the life of the baby. They feel totally hopeless.
On 12th July, Me and my husband went to the hospital to check the condition of the baby. Dra. Aliwalas the neonathologist explained that the baby is alive and fighting for his life. As his Auntie, it's hard to see him and my heart is breaking everytime I visit him. My husband and I talked and we come up with a decision to pushed through with the laboratories and medications. In short, we tried to provide his needs and we decided to continue his medication, without thinking where we can get the money, because for us the life of the baby is the most important. We are hoping that the baby grow as a healthy boy and pray that the medicines that are taken of his mother for her heart disease during her pregnancy, won't affect his health, that is our ultimate prayers.
Update: Until now the baby is in the hospital. Monday morning the Doctor called up, to give us update on the repeat ROP (Retinopathy of Prematurity). All the laboratories including newborn screening went well. But the ROP result is not doing good and needs immediate attention. The hospital were the baby is right now does not have the facility for this cases. The Doctor will give him referral but of course we need to settle the hospital bills that ranges USD10,000 to 15,000 (or almost Php 700,000) which is obvisouly we don't have, because we are just ordinary employees. We are trying to give Santino a chance to live and embrace the good life. I would like to seek financial support for Santino's hospital billing and eye medications. Any amount that you could share with us is a great help.
For verification, you may call and look for Baby Boy Rafael. Sta Rosa Hospital and Medical Center at +63 49 837 0911 / NICU department.
Thank you very much.
Joseph Miranda/Eliza May Miranda