My name is Willie Ng'ang'a Macharia. Am an honours student at the University of Cape Town specialising in Computer Science. At University of Cape Town(UCT) .
Qiskit Camps are an immersive experience that consists of training sessions, deep technical talks, and a hackathon alongside the Qiskit core development team. At Qiskit Camp, attendees can collaborate with both quantum researchers and computer scientists to connect with the larger global quantum community
IBM will be hosting a Qiskit Camp in New York Town on March 10- March 13 2020. I applied to attend the Qiskit camp and I was successfully invited to attend the camp which can be found here invitation here . I do believe by attending this camp I will manage to interact with leading researchers in the field of quantum computing. I also believe through participating in the conference will enable me to use my quantum skills which I have acquired so far into practice.
IBM will only cover accommodation costs for the attendees and not the airfare and visa costs. The cheapest return air ticket is $1200 from Cape Town to New York, USA Visa costs B1-Visa($160), and miscellaneous costs of ($200) bringing total costs at $ 1560.
As a student I can manage to cater for $ 160 remaining with a deficit of $1400. I have already paid the VISA and the US Consulate in Cape Town has given me an expedited visa appointment to ensure I get the visa on time.
Some of my involvements include:
1. I have been a Computer science tutor for CSC1015 and CSC1016 in 2018
2. In 2019, I was elected as the Chairperson of the UCT Developers society UCT and I have been involved in planning the Break the rules.
3. I was also the recipient of the Department Entelect award for the Computer science social responsiveness 2019
4. I am a member of the Cape Town Java community and attend various meetup events at Travelstart offices in Longkloof studios Cape Town.
5. In 2020, I am planning to host speakers in UCT through our Developers society to speak to students about Quantum computing and I believe through the Qiskit conference I will manage to create networks and invite key personnel who work on Quantum computing to UCT and speak to students about Quantum Computing.
6. I attended the Wits Quantum computing Summer school in Dec 2019 and shared my experience here on medium: https://medium.com/@williengangamacharia/qiskit-ca...
In December 2019, I happened to attend a summer school in Quantum Computing in University of Witswatersland and also participated in quantum computing Hackathon after the summer school.
Since then, I have been excited with the field of Quantum computing where I have been reading various quantum computing papers and also using Qiskit(IBM Framework for Quantum computing). I have been focusing more on Quantum transpiler as I feel it is a field I will enjoy doing. Am very motivated to keep myself busy with activities that involve Quantum computing. Am more motivated to pursue my postgraduate in quantum computing as it will help me understand more in the field.
Am therefore appealing to you to help me attend this conference by donating whatever little you have. Whatever little you have kindly help. I do believe this conference will help me to establish good networks that will be useful for me as I establish myself in the field of quantum computing.
Through this link Willie Quantum Docs find my invitation from the Qiskit Team, my professor recommendation and a certificate of completion of the Quantum computing summer school .
Thanks so much,