Who Is Volunteering?
Emma is a college student living in Bloomington, Minnesota. She teaches preschoolers and toddlers at a childcare center near her house and has always loved working with children. Emma graduated high school in 2011 with an award for volunteerism; having volunteered at several organizations including Loaves and Fishes, Feed My Starving Children, St. Andrew's Lutheran Church, Partnership Academy, Bloomington Ice Garden, and Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital. By volunteering in her community, Emma realized her need to help people. She wanted to learn more about volunteering abroad since she knew that there were so many people in the world who have much less than she and others in her community have. While researching places to go volunter she came across Global Volunteer Network's website.
Through Global Volunteer Network Emma discovered that she could go on a trip to Peru with a group of volunteers whose focus would be caring for mentally and physically ill children in a clinic in Cusco, Peru. Many of these children would be without adequate care if were not for a steady of stream of volunteers who dedicate their time to helping them medically as well as socially and emotionally.
About Global Volunteer Network
- They were founded in 2000 by Colin Salisbury
- They have been recommended by Bill Gates
- They were included in CNN's top 10 organizations that can change your life
- They have placed over 10,000 volunteers
- They have raised over 1.8 million dollars to help women and children in need
- They place volunteers all over the world
- Thay are a non profit organization based in New Zealand
- Visit http://www.globalvolunteernetwork.org/peru/projects/disabled-healthcare-project to find out more!
Cost of the Trip
This is where you come in. The trip cost is $1797 and round trip airfare costs about $1400. That's about $3200 to make this trip happen and help children in a less fortunate community. Emma and the children in Cusco need your help!