My name is Tegan and i am hoping to travel to Port Elizabeth, South Africa in 2014 to volunteer Volunteer with rare species of tigers and lions in a GoEco program. Since the 1970's the population of lions in Africa has decreased by 80-90 percent, due to poaching, reduction of natural habitats, and disease such as Tuberculosis and feline AIDS.
This conservation has extended its activities to include the care and preservation of other species of large cats who originate in Africa, and large cats that originate outside of Africa (i.e. Bengal and Siberian tigers).
I have a passion for wildlife and animals and i am currently studying Veterinary Nursing to gain a place in University to study Bachelor of Science to then gain a place in my career goal, Veterinary Science. I have worked extremely hard to work my way up to achieve my career objective. I believe this voluntary opportunity will provide me with valuable skills and knowledge to further my career.
During my time away volunteering in South Africa i will be involved with;
- Hands-on care of tigers, lions and other animals
- General maintenance of the park
- Conservation education
- Food preparation and feedings of lion and tiger cubs (includes cutting raw meat)
- Cleaning enclosures/maintenance
- Data collection on the cubs and adult cats
- Environmental education for tourist and school groups
- Rehabilitation programs for orphaned or injured animals from the wild
- Helping out in the park restaurant during a busy period or event
HELP ME, HELP THEM!