Please help us to restore Archer back to his bubbly active self. Archer is super attached to us just as we are to him.
Archer, our 5 years old Cocker Spaniel has an ingrown ball that has grown into a tumour (6cm). Archer has a historical background of low platelets (unable to clot blood) count and failed to go through with his castration surgery over the past 2years as his platelet counts are way too weak, below 20 (normal dogs 140). However, within 4 months (from his last vet visit), his ball has grown into a tumour and surgery cannot wait. Despite having a tumour, Archer has never once showed his weak side, in fact, he was very active and playful. He loves playing his toys with us. Last friday, Archer proceeded with a surgery despite his low platelet count of 32. This was very risky but the tumour needed to be removed urgently or it would burst in him. Surgery went well but he had problems clotting. After the anesthesia wore off, he woke up as if he did no surgery and was moving all around. (He was definitely looking for us) This caused his wound to rupture and he lost even more blood. Docs had to immediately restitch his wound and even so he didnt stop bleeding.
Archer was weak and doc advised for him to stay overnight at the clinic. However, just as we saw him before we left (he was sedated), he saw a glimpse of us and struggled to get up and cried loudly. Doc said there's no way he can remain calm now that he saw us. Together with the doctor, we made a bold decision to bring him back with us even though his bleeding had barely stopped. Once he was laid on our laps in the car, he fell asleep in our arms.
However, this wasnt the end of our nightmare. Archer started bleeding the next day (twice) from just gently sitting up and we couldnt stop the 2nd bleeding. We immediately drove to the emergency hospital at 2am, and he cried on the way there. He didnt want to part with us. He lost a lot of blood.
Overnight at the hospital, his bleeding had not stop and a 2nd surgery was needed to stop the internal bleeding. However, his blood tests showed that his platelet count dropped to 1. Surgery was not an option. Doc said he has a chance he may pass away in the 24 hours if he continues to bleed. This tore our hearts. It is way too early for him to go. Thankfully, his platelet count increased in the evening, however his red blood cells was dropping so he went in for a 2nd surgery together with a blood transfusion.
Archer has gone through a lot but his fighting spirit held him through. Also because we told him to promise us he cannot leave us. His condition has stabilised but these few days are critical.
So far, we have spent $5.1k as of yesterday (friday-sunday) and Archer will have to remain in hospital till the weekend at least. His red blood cells, though improving, may drop in these few critical days, together with his low platelet count he may require a second transfusion (over $1k). Coupled with 2 daily blood tests and hospitalisation fees, infection tests, the sum is rising. The estimated costs would be $8k. (We are hoping to raise any amount)
Archer is an important source of undying love and support for our family. Archer is what keeps our family together. We really hope to bring Archer back home as soon as possible, however, we need help in raising money. Any sum is greatly appreciated, thank you from our family. Archer thanks you too. No love is too small.