Our Son in the Sun: Saving Baby Apollo

Update posted by Bryan Patti and Allie Asedillo On May 04, 2020

Earlier today, our baby Apollo Gabriel Asedillo has joined God in heaven.

Yesterday morning, we were immediately called by the team at the NICU as Apollo's condition was becoming more critical; our neonatal doctor explained to us how it has become more difficult for Apollo to continue... The team was kind enough to let me hold our baby's hand and feet for the first time, and as soon as he gripped my finger with his small and gentle hands, I felt and knew that he was still strongly fighting.

As of this morning, past 1:00AM, the NICU team called us again and asked us to rush at the hospital as they were trying their very best to recucitate our baby Apollo. As much as we want him to continue longer, we saw and felt him deeply struggling and that there was nothing more that the doctors and nurses could do.

In his last few minutes, the NICU team allowed us to embrace our son for the first and last time. During this time, we prayed over him and expressed how much we love him and will continue to love him. We surrendered him to God and thanked Him for lending us Apollo even for a brief time.

We were able to make necessary arrangements immediately and had him cremated so we may also bring him home with us. We displayed some simple fresh blooms, had candles lit, and set up a simple background for our now little angel.


These past two weeks have been truly challenging for our family and we are beyond grateful for everyone's love and support. For all the efforts and prayers that everyone has given us, thank you.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Bryan Patti and Allie Asedillo On Apr 29, 2020

After Apollo's cranial ultrasound, our neonatal doctor informed us that the reason for our baby Apollo's swelling on his head is that he has IVH (Intraventricular Hemorrhage) Grade 4. In addition to this, the cranial ultrasound showed that baby Apollo has hydrocephalus. Because of these findings, the chances of him having Cerebral Palsy is between 80-92%. Apart from this, our neonatal doctor also informed us that our baby Apollo will have ROP (Retinopathy of Prematurity) which indicates that he will be blind. This information overwhelmed us in the most excruciating possible way. Both as parents and individuals, we find it difficult on how to respond and process the situation.

Already overwhelmed with the information mentioned above, it didn't stop there... His stomach was having discoloration which indicated that something was wrong with his digestion. His arms were also starting to stiffen as part of the many complications he had. At that point, his doctor started explaining how bad his overall condition was. As parents who are actively and aggressively continuing to find ways on how else we could help and save our baby, Apollo’s doctor told us to secure bags of plasma for another transfusion. In addition to plasma, Apollo was also prescribed with three (3) vials of IVIG, which we believe would aid his immunity. His antibiotics were also changed to a more potent or stronger dosage to have a more substantial effect on his infections. At this point, the only thing running through our minds was to make sure we give him all the doctor asked for.

Fortunately, we were able to get 3 bags of plasma from General Emilio Aguinaldo Memorial Hospital with the assistance of Binakayan Hospital and Medical Center's (BHMC) laboratory staff. We were also able to source out IVIG from De La Salle Medical Center after coordinating with NICU's referred medical representative. After the successful transfusion and administration of his recent medicines, Apollo's condition was gradually improving. But even with this development, the prognosis based on his cranial ultrasound still persists and continues to leave us anxious.

After learning that Apollo's condition got a little better, it has been two (2) days ago since we were informed that his IV attachment is not sustainable. From the original umbilical attachment of IV, they moved it to his leg due to the clogging/closure of the former. This will keep on occurring since his veins are too small to sustain the continuous flow of IV. With this, we are now in search of a pediatric surgeon who can work on Apollo's central IV line. This should address the recurrence of reattaching his IV from time to time. Unfortunately, the pediatric surgeon here at BHMC could not perform the procedure due to our baby Apollo’s very low birth weight which indicates that he is very small. We would need to scout for a pediatric surgeon as soon as possible who would be willing to travel to Binakayan Hospital and Medical Center. If we're unable to find a someone who can travel to BHMC and perform the surgery, we might resort to transferring him to Asian Hospital and Medical Center (AHMC).

Up to this day, we’re still left undecided with either transferring Apollo or not. Moving to AHMC will address the concern of looking for someone to perform central IV line surgery and would possibly ensure higher availability of other medical equipment, supplies, and staff for our baby Apollo’s medical needs. However, this implies that our expenses will be tenfold, our commutes will be longer (and more expensive), and more importantly, putting our baby Apollo at a higher risk by transporting him in long distance — which might cause him to expire. On the other hand, staying in BHMC would mean we need to continue looking for a pediatric surgeon who can perform aforementioned operation, and quite frankly we are running out of means to find one; if we don't address this anytime soon, Apollo will eventually run out of workable veins for securing his IV attachment.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Bryan Patti and Allie Asedillo On Apr 26, 2020

April 24, 2020 - Day 6

No one is allowed to enter the NICU. But today, our neonatal doctor made us go inside to show and discuss our baby Apollo's current status. Me and my husband had a whirlwind of mixed emotions upon seeing Apollo for the first time...

Dr. Colasito -- our neonatal doctor -- told us that Apollo's activities today weren't good. She started off by telling us that she found a swelling on our baby's head. Initially, it would be easier to identify what was the cause of the swelling if there was a portable cranial ultrasound. Despite the hospital having a cranial ultrasound at the first floor level, it cannot be transported at the second floor where NICU is at. And it wan't also an option for our baby to be brought downstairs. From that point, we knew we had to source a portable cranial ultrasound elsewhere. Second, she had to stop baby Apollo's feeding of breastmilk because his abdominal area started turning dark/greenish-blue. They had to get a blood sample again from him to find out the cause of this.

Apart from this, Dr. Colasito explained to us what happened from the moment our baby Apollo was born. Initially, our baby's APGAR score was 0 -- meaning, our baby did not have a heartbeat and was not breathing. His APGAR score only improved to 1 after five (5) minutes and improved again to a score of 7 after 20-30 minutes.

Around 10:00PM, we were informed that we needed to look for a blood bag of O+ RBC so that they could perform an immediate blood transfusion to Baby Apollo. Fortunately, around past 12midnight, a good friend of ours works with Red Cross and was able to connect us immediately to get a blood bag. My husband travelled back and forth from Binakayan Hospital to Red Cross Mandaluyong despite the lockdown and curfew.

We could not emphasize enough how grateful we are for all the efforts, support, and prayers that everyone has given us.


Add a Comment

Update posted by Bryan Patti and Allie Asedillo On Apr 23, 2020

April 20 - Day 2

Patti has been discharged with a few prescriptions to aid her recovery and possible infections. Fortunately, the normal delivery will enable her to move better and spend less time being admitted, this also saved us substantial amount of expense. The neonatal doctor was considering the use of Surfactant (Survanta) to aid baby Apollo's lung development. We reached out and coordinated with relatives and friends to find where the nearest and lowest priced source for Surfactant is. Based on our canvassing, Survanta's price range is between PhP20,000.00-PhP32,000.00 for 4mL.

As our first day being at home, it was -- and still is -- heartbreaking to think that we have no choice but to leave our baby Apollo alone in the NICU. Though, we know our baby is in good hands of such an amazing and motherly medical team in the NICU, as parents, we feel the need to be right beside our baby. Yet, through these difficult times, our family tries its best to stay strong and keep our heads up high.


April 21 - Day 3

The neonatal doctor has given us her final advice that Apollo won't be needing the Surfactant anymore. This somehow gave us a relief because the neonatal doctor said that Apollo's lungs have expanded and can continue develop with the assistance of the ventilator. He is still taking antibiotics for the infections caused by his long exposure inside the leaking placenta (during the time they were initially trying to preterm contractions).

We also requested for documents such as medical certificate, laboratory results, and started to process the birth certificate of Apollo. Hopefully we could get it in the next coming days so we may also share it with you soon.


April 22 - Day 4

Doctor stated that our baby's progress is remarkable, he is even more active today and seem to be responding well. Though he is still extremely small, the vitals and status of baby Apollo is doing well. Doctor has advised the attending nurses and staff that baby's ventilator power will be gradually lowered, to slowly train his lungs to cope with breathing. Baby has responded well with initial round of breastmilk feeding. From every 6 hours, he will start feeding for every 3 hours. Patti has started inducing and producing sufficient breastmilk for baby Apollo.



April 23 - Day 5

The NICU gave us a call to inform us that around 5:00AM today, our baby Apollo had an apnea - he had a struggle in fighting to breathe. The NICU team had to adjust his ventilator. Apart from this, they also had to change his antibiotic for his infection -- sepsis -- because our baby Apollo was having a reaction. The attending nurse has also informed us that Apollo has started to undergo phototherapy for his skin as well.

At this point, we ask for your help, support, and prayers that our Apollo stays strong and continues to fight for his growth and development.

photo

Stay strong baby Apollo! We got you!

Ace Sablay

Update posted by Apr 23

Add a Comment

Update posted by Bryan Patti and Allie Asedillo On Apr 22, 2020

Hi everyone!

We would like to thank everyone who has been showing their support. We are truly grateful for sharing our hopes and prayers for baby Apollo’s development and health. We are overwhelmed with the heartwarming responses and comforting words from everyone.

Apart from the donations that go through here in GoGetFunding, rest assured that all the help we receive thru other means (i.e. local bank transfers, mobile payments, etc.) will be reflected in the “Raised Offline” section.

We wish for your understanding if we encounter some delays with the updates; we are working on keeping everyone up to speed as soon as we are able to.

Our sincerest thanks again to everyone!

Add a Comment

photo

Hi Sir Madam please please please Look at me I need a lot more help please

mohammad iqbal

Posted On May 07, 2020

photo

Praying for you and your whole family

Isabelle Vea

Backed On Apr 26, 2020 Amount Hidden

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Apr 26, 2020 Amount Hidden

photo

Praying for baby Apollo’s swift recovery 🙏🏻

Marjorie Duran

Backed with ₱1000.00 On Apr 26, 2020

photo

KC W

Backed with ₱725.00 On Apr 25, 2020

photo

Anonymous

Backed with ₱5000.00 On Apr 25, 2020

photo

Anonymous

Backed with ₱500.00 On Apr 25, 2020

photo

Carlo & Maria Roxas

Backed with ₱800.00 On Apr 24, 2020

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Apr 24, 2020 Amount Hidden

photo

Congratulations on your preemie!!!

Guest

Backed with ₱1014.00 On Apr 24, 2020

Show more donors
Add a Comment

photo

Bryan Patti and Allie Asedillo

Campaign Creator

flag Cavite, ph

send a message

Parents and Sister of Baby Apollo Gabriel Asedillo

photo

Gladzy Zuniga

Campaign Manager

send a message

photo

Jose Pineda

Following Since Apr 30, 2020

photo

Noreen Prila-Orillaza

Following Since Apr 30, 2020

photo

Dan Nikkoli Soria

Following Since Apr 28, 2020

photo

Isabelle Vea

Following Since Apr 26, 2020

photo

Marjorie Duran

Following Since Apr 24, 2020

photo

Kristine Quizon

Following Since Apr 23, 2020

photo

Leonardo Ilagan

Following Since Apr 23, 2020

photo

Leilanni Capuyon

Following Since Apr 23, 2020

photo

Stephanie Santiago

Following Since Apr 22, 2020

photo

Laarni Johnston

Following Since Apr 22, 2020

Show more Followers

Create Support Campaign

Not Ready to Donate?

Did you know a 10 second Facebook share raises an average of ₱25?

Share on