I am Nikos Chrysogelos, the chair of the social cooperative ANEMOS ANANEOSIS / WIND OF RENEWAL and project manager of the innovative WELCOMMON HOSTEL in Athens. In our new innovative project Welcommon Hostel we combined social issues like sustainable tourism, green & environmental activities with social integration of refugees.
- The five upper floors are an innovative Hostel focused on responsible, sustainable tourism. There is a variety of options for accommodation in WELCOMMON HOSTEL; In total we can host 167 persons either in a four or eight-bed dormitory or in a five-bed room, a four-bed room, a three-bed room, a twin or double bed room or a single; all rooms are comfortable, clean and attractive; a lot has been artistically designed with reused items, always with your comfort in mind
- On two floors, there is space for social and ecological activities, seminars, workshops on climate and energy issues, social entrepreneurship, social and green innovation, circular economy as well as cultural exhibitions.
In order to be able to secure our function and solve the urgent problems we face (cash flow, no access to microcredits or loans or seed capital, lack of donations for our social projects), we need to find as soon as possible an amount of about 50.000 euro.
- We are looking for organizations, foundations, social enterprises willing to be donors for our activities.
- “possible clients” they want to pay now and book a room in WELCOMMON HOSTEL not immediately but in a period of 1 year, starting in November 2019. Wind of Renewal offers a 25% discount at standard prize if someone pays an amount of at least 100 Euro to support our impact work using the word “support” when one pays
Our previous work
In our innovative community center for refugees, WELCOMMON, we have hosted, empowered and supported with non-formal education, art therapy activities, tutoring lessons, social and psychological services more than 600 vulnerable refugees for 1,5 year (9/2016-2/2018).
Our current work:
- Running an innovative youth hostel, WELCOMMON HOSTEL, as main commercial activity with social impact. The Hostel started its operations in July 2018. Its activities nowadays comprise hosting tourists, mostly young people from high schools and universities, social economy organizations, social and ecological groups, artists, Erasmus students and “normal” tourists with social, ecological and cultural interests.
- Continuation, with the help of volunteers, interns and visitors, friends, of some of its activities for social inclusion and non formal education as well as promotion of sustainable tourism, social and green innovation and economy.
Our ongoing cooperation with volunteering services is creating a space for connecting and learning from each other.