Saving Mom | Thyroid Cancer Treatment

Update posted by Cherry Viel Laud On Feb 16, 2021

February 16, 2021: Today is our 8th day in the Emergency Room and my mom is still in critical condition. The doctor said that her left lung totally collapsed and her breathing right now is supported with a ventilator. We need to be transferred at the aircon room with SP because my mom can't stay in the ICU due to her bedsore. The SP cost Php100.00 per hour hour. We need also to provide all the medicines recommended by the doctor, especially the antibiotics and norepinephrine. She needs 4 ampules of norepinephrine everyday to maintain her blood pressure or else she will suffer a cardiac arrest once the blood pressure goes down and 1 ampule cost Php1,000.00.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Cherry Viel Laud On Feb 14, 2021

We would like to thank everyone who have supported and donated through Bank Transfers, GCash Fund Transfers, Remittance Centers and through this campaign. We truly appreciate your generosity and kindness!

I continue to ask for the help of everyone to keep this campaign active by continuously sharing this to all the people you know. Just by simply sharing would mean a lot to our mom's life. And to those who are capable of sharing any amount, WE THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts.

To those who are willing to support and/or donate, but do not have Paypal account, here are the following options:

BDO Account Account Number: 000810139375Account Name: Marivic Laud

GCash Number: 09198551434

Paymaya Number: 09396173932

No matter how big or small, every bit of donation will be a huge help. Also, please include her in your prayers. Help us to win this fight. Thank you very much and may God bless you all.

Again, we appreciate everyone's generosity and support. Your donations will all used for the Hospital Bills, Medical Expenses and Chemotherapy of Marivic Laud.

God bless us all!

Add a Comment

Update posted by Cherry Viel Laud On Feb 11, 2021

January 28, 2021, we were discharged from the hospital. We were given take home meds and were advised to have a follow up check up by February 2.

We stayed at home and continue taking her prescribed medicines. My mom is doing her best to stay strong as she could. There were times that she can eat well but there were times that she can't even eat a spoon of rice. She followed the doctor's instructions to eat food with high calories like ice cream and leche flan. She really did her best to eat every food that we served but there were really times that she doesn't have an appetite.

February 6, when I noticed that there were no more fluid draining on her pigtail. I called her Oncologist right away and we were advised to visit his clinic on February 8 to have it checked. We went to visit his Oncologist and we were advised to go to the E.R to have it checked by the Surgeon. The Surgeon said that there is nothing wrong with the Pigtail so we went home. When we arrived home, my mom started complaining that she feel cold and very hungry but she doesn't have an appetite. She really look weak so I contacted her Oncologist and we were advised to bring her to the hospital right away and have her admitted.

February 8, 2020. We were admitted again.. It was found out that my mom had Hypoglycemia and the infection spread on her lungs. My mom started to get drowsy and not responding much when we talk to her. The doctor really did his best so that she will not fall asleep but my mom is really getting drowsy. So they decided to intubate her and have her breathing supported by a ventilator.

Right now we are still in the Emergency Room and my mom is in critical condition but she is still fighting. We are still fighting. So, I continue to ask for the help of everyone to keep this campaign active by continuously sharing this to all the people you know. Just by simply sharing would mean a lot to our mom's life. And to those who are capable of sharing any amount, WE THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts.

No matter how big or small, every bit of donation will be a huge help. Also, please include her in your prayers. Help us to win this fight. Thank you very much and may God bless you all.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Cherry Viel Laud On Jan 21, 2021

January, 2020: We asked our Oncologist if he could refer us to another Pulmonologist who can possibly do a Bronchoscopy. As we enter the Pulmonologist's clinic, he noticed right away my mom's eye and asked if she has thyroid problem. I could not answer, I look at my mom and ask her because I really had no idea. Actually, no one had. All I know is that the only problem is just with her lungs.

Her pulmonologist requested for a chest xray before he can decide for a Bronchoscopy. Based on the result, her left lung is almost filled with fluid again. The doctor recommend her for admission for PigTail and to roll out the cause of the recurrent pleural effusion.

We got admitted right away on that same day. A series of test has been done and PigTail Catheter was also inserted right away. Chest X-ray, CT Scan and Ultrasounds were done to check the nodules on her lungs. After taking all those tests and procedures, her Pulmonologist told us that he really can't do Bronchoscopy nor CT Scan Guided Biopsy because the two procedures are too risky and could cause her lungs to collapse and since her pulmonologist already suspected that the mass on her thyroid could be the possible cause of the recurrent pleural effusion on her lungs, he then requested for a neck ultrasound and there they found that she really have thyroid mass.

The doctor then decided to have an ultrasound guided biopsy on the thyroid instead last January 13, 2021. After 6 days of waiting, we were able to get the result, Suspicious for Papillary Cancer...Her Pulmonologist then told us to have my mom's thyroid mass checked and be treated before he can work up my mom's lungs.

Her Oncologist then requested for an Endocrinologist to have my mother checked but the Endocrinologist can't do anything for now since my mom is too weak. She can't recommend for an operation because she can see that my mother could not bear it and could die while on the operating table. She can't also recommend RADIOACTIVE IODINE becauae if she will give my mom the full dose medication, my mom needs to be isolated for almost a month. No one could go near to her because of the radiation but it's very impossible for us to just let her alone for almost a month. My mom could not stand and walk on ber own. She has PigTail Catheter and could not last long without oxygen.

Right now, we are still in the hospital, waiting for an update and what will be our next steps from her Oncologist.

Please do pray for us🙏

Add a Comment

Update posted by Cherry Viel Laud On Jan 19, 2021

December, 2020: Two weeks after, we received the Cytology Report and went directly to her Pulmonologist's clinic. The doctor said that the Cytology Report could not commit if the cells found is Malignant or not. Since she have nodules on her lungs, though the report could not commit for Malignancy, her pulmonologist advised us to visit an oncologist.

A week after we received the Cytology Report, my mom's left arm and breast started swelling and had rashes all over her body, so we decided to see an Oncologist.

Dec. 23, 2020, exactly 1 month right after her last admission, we went to see an Oncologist. The Oncologist noticed that my mom is having difficulty of breathing so he requested for a chest x-ray. On the x-ray film, we can no longer see my mom's left lung, it was all covered with pleural fluid. The Oncologist then requested my mom to be admitted and remove the fluid before he can work up my mom's condition. He also requested for a Breast Elastogram.

That same day, I contacted my mom's Pulmonologist and tell everything that happened so he could contact the hospital for the admission. Due to this pademic, admission in the hospitals is not easy. You need to have a doctor affilliated on that hospital. You need to have a referral. You need to undergo swab test and be negative before you can be treated.

Dec. 24, 2020, as soon as swab test result turned negative, the pulmonologist then requsted to schedule another Ultrasound Guided Thoracentesis. That same day, the procedure was done and they were able to get 1.2L of pleural fluid. Right after the UGT, they requested for a Chest X-ray. Even after the UGT, the x-ray is still not showing a good result. 3/4 of her lungs is still filled with fluid even after getting 1.2L out of it. The doctors suggested for a PigTail but we did not agreed so they decided to schedule for another UGT before they can discharge us. Another 1.1L of pleural fluid was taken last Dec. 28, 2020.

A day after her UGT, we were discharged and went directly to another hospital for Breast Elastogram beacause it is not available on the hospital where we are admitted. As soon as the result came out, I forwarded it right away to her oncologist and we were advised that there's nothing to worry on the result instead we should be more worried about the fuid on her lungs as it is starting to accumulate again. The oncologist could not give her a proper treatment since he could not see malignacy even on one of her test results. He suggested for a PigTail to totally drain the fluid so they could biopsy the nodules on her lungs.

We asked our Oncologist if he could refer us to another Pulmonologist who can possibly do a Bronchoscopy. As we enter the Pulmonologist's clinic, he noticed right away my mom's eye and asked if she has thyroid problem. I could not answer, I look at my mom and ask her because I really had no idea...

Add a Comment

Update posted by Cherry Viel Laud On Jan 18, 2021


November 2020: But every medicine do have its side effects. My mom started to lose her appetite and experience severe body pains. Since she is not getting the nutrients that her body needs and though the plueral fluid may have regress, her laboratory results did not went well.

My mom started to feel weak again, until here comes the month of November and she can no longer bear the body pain and started to feel the shortness of breathing again.

We decided to see a pulmonologist. The doctor requested for a chest xray and that same day she advised us to have our mom admitted. We stayed in the hospital for 5days. My mom undergo a series of tests. Laboratories, X-rays, Ultrasounds and CT Scan.

After those series of tests, a nodule on her left lung was found on her CT Scan Result. Her pulmonologist then requested for a CT Scan Guided Biopsy but the Radiologist refused to do it because it is too risky for my mom. Her pulmonologist also refused to do the Bronchoscopy because of the risks. My mom can no longer undergo an operation because of the pleural liquid present on her lungs. The only and last option that they gave us is the Ultrasound Guided Thoracentesis then have the fluid examined again.

Two weeks after, then we received the Cytology Report and went directly to her Pulmonologist's clinic. The doctor said that the Cytology Report could not commit if the cells found is Malignant or not.

Since she have nodules on her lungs, though the report could not commit for Malignancy, her pulmonologist advised us to vusit an oncologist.

Oncologist.... a doctor who treats cancer and provides medical care for a person diagnosed with cancer.


Add a Comment

Update posted by Cherry Viel Laud On Jan 17, 2021

July, 2020 : She Started Losing Her Voice..

The second admission for the another Ultrasound Guided Thoracentesis was postponed due to our financial incapacity until it was cancelled due to restrictions on admissions, lockdown and transportation freeze caused by COVID-19.

My mom started losing her voice and suffered persistent cough with phlegm. We decided to visit one of the clinics in our town since it's still not convenient and safe to go to the hospitals in the city. The doctor requested for a Chest Ultrasound and X-ray. We were surprised and glad that there was a regression of pleural fluid from 816ml(March, 2020) to 325ml(July 2020) without even having the Ultrasound Guided Thoracentesis done. The doctor then gave her a medication and requested for a follow up Chest Ultrasound after a month. The medication is very effective! From 325ml(July 2020), there was a regression of pleural fluid to 160ml(August 2020).

But every medicine do have its side effects. My mom started to lose her appetite and experience severe body pains. Since she is not getting the nutrients that her body needs and though the plueral fluid may have regress, her laboratory results did not went well.

My mom started to feel weak again, until here comes the month November and she can no longer bear the body pain and started to feel the shortness of breathing again....







Add a Comment

Update posted by Cherry Viel Laud On Jan 17, 2021

February 2020 - my mom started complaining that she easily gets tired and experiencing shortness of breath with uncontrollable cough.

She went to the doctor for a check up and was referred to have a chest x-ray. On the x-ray result the doctor found pleural fluid on her left lungs and referred us right away for admission.

She was admitted in Medicus Medical Center Iloilo for 7 days. A series of tests were done and the Doctor suggested for an Ultrasound Guided Thoracentesis and have the fluid examined.

We were relieved when we received the Cytopathology Report. NEGATIVE FOR MALIGNANCY. The Doctor then requested for a follow up chest ultrasound. The ultrasound showed progression of the pleural fluid from previously 460ml before the Ultrasound Guided Thoracentesis to 816ml 2 weeks after the Thoracentesis.

The doctor advised to have her admitted again and do another Ultrasound Guided Thoracentesis and have the fluid examined again to figure out the caused of the recurrent pleural effusion.

The second admission for the another Ultrasound Guided Thoracentesis was postponed due to our financial incapacity until it was cancelled due to restrictions on admissions, lockdown and transportation freeze caused by COVID-19.

Add a Comment

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Feb 11, 2021 Amount Hidden

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Feb 11, 2021 Amount Hidden

photo

Thank you so much.. God bless you and your family!

Cherry Viel Laud

Posted On Feb 11, 2021

photo

We just hold on to God's love.

Anonymous

Backed with ₱5000.00 On Feb 10, 2021

photo

Thank you so much.. God Bless you!

Cherry Viel Laud

Posted On Feb 09, 2021

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Jan 25, 2021 Amount Hidden

Add a Comment

photo

Cherry Viel Laud

flag Iloilo, ph

Send a message

photo

melissa jean sonato

Since Feb 15, 2021

photo

Mylene Santiago

Since Feb 10, 2021

photo

Gemma Espanola

Since Jan 27, 2021

photo

Erwin S.

Since Jan 25, 2021

photo

arnel jover jr

Since Jan 18, 2021

Create support campaign

Not Ready to Donate?

Did you know a 10 second Facebook share raises an average of ₱25?

Share on