We are 5 Rocks Mamela Nyamza, Chuma Sopotela, Buhlebezwe Siwani, Zikhona Jacobs and Indalo Stofile creating a work of Art, our ensemble of performers are from different genres (dance, visual art, theatre, and music).
- Disability doesn't have to be mental, physical or emotional. It surely can be socio-economical
- This is an immediate potential for integration and solidarity amongst the artists.
- The music genre, ROCK will be the core concept of this piece to depict these contradictions both for the best and for the worst. Rock has always been associated with hard-life, sex, masculinity and noise. These apparent negative associations will relate to the exclusivity, patriarchal, misogynist and sexist derogative thrown to us for wearing revealing panty-nets during our protest.
- The performance of the four women using their bodies as means of medium in the while, will indicate a powerful silent weapon to destruct, destabilise, an the solid foundation of the loud cheers of discrimination, patriarchy, misogyny, and intolerance against equity in the arts for all.
- The work aims to shock, shake and shove all there is to the status quo of arts in South Africa. Help us brew a powerful seed to create new opportunities for artists and transform our stages and create more opportunities for new works.
- Just like rock music that changed the culture of the world, and indeed shocked the world, like the dance crazes, fashion styles, and global culture that followed rock music. The work ultimately wants to rock the art fraternity to the core, by demanding change and transformation within the arts and its mainstream exclusive theatres.
- The money will go towards, costumes, props and set design, video material and all logistics of creating a new work.
- Thank you to SPIELART IN MUNICH, GERMANY
A big thank you to The university of Cape Town's Institution for Creative Arts (ICA) & Artscape for giving us a resource of space to kick start this project...