I am launching this crowdfunding campaign on behalf of an amazing woman called Christina Lum. Christina is a 64 year old widow with a heart of gold. She was a teacher by profession and when she retired, she decided to take her entire pension and start a school. This was in response to the need of a school in her community. Most of the children were travelling long distances to get to school and these schools were also very expensive. As a christian, she thought this was her opportunity to give back to the community while also staying active on retirement. The school opened in 2010 with just two classrooms and 28 pupils. In 2016, the school had grown to 10 classrooms and 432 pupils. The success of this project means the financial costs have greatly increased and she's needing help financially. Her kids have been supporting her financially but she needs more help.
In November 2016, the school was burgled and the computers she had received as a donation were all stolen. Study and library books and other school stationary were also stolen. The worst happened on the 23rd of December 2016 (just a day before Christmas) when she was burgled at gunpoint. Not only did these heartless thieves steal money, valuables, phones and even food but they also beat her, leaving her very shaken. Since the incident, she's been living in a constant state of fear and distrust. After the robbery, she was contemplating closing the school as she can no longer sustain it financially.
The aim of this campaign is to raise some funds to get her back on her feet and to further her vision in the school which is providing equitable access to affordable good quality and child friendly education. The money raised will go towards:
- First buy and install security facilities in the school and at her home.
- Second, to buy two school buses for transporting the children who have to walk long distances to get to school.
- Third, build and equip the computer lab with computers and a competent IT instructor.
- Fourth, build a technical section where the kids can start learning entrepreneurial skills.
- Fifth, build toilets and washrooms, you can see the present state of toilets in the pictures.
- Sixth, equipping the library with books and study materials.
- Seventh, building drinking water fountains around the school.
- Lastly, playground facilities which will inspire some of the children to get into sports.
I am therefore appealing to you to make a donation and make a positive difference in this world as it can sometimes seem like an unfriendly, threatening place, yet we all want safety, health and happiness for ourselves, our loved ones and friends.
We can only achieve our goals with the generosity of individuals like you, please consider a donation. Please, kindly share with your family, friends and social network groups. Every little counts.
If you would like to be part of this project in any other way: provide books, computers, etc please get in-touch.
Thanks for your time and generosity.