The Lutheran church in the village of Lavry (Pechory district, Pskov region of Russia) was built from 1925-1932. Nowadays, this land is the most western geographical point of Russia. In the middle of the 19th century, many Lutheran immigrants moved here from neighboring Latvia and Estonia, because the cost of land here was low and they could afford to buy it. Regular services were held here in both Latvian and Estonian until 1945, and the parish was part of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church.
On January 16, 1945, these lands were transferred from Estonia to the jurisdiction of the Pskov region of Russia, and the church was subsequently closed by the Soviet authorities. Most of its parishioners were subjected to repression and expelled to Siberia. The building was expropriated by the authorities and used as a warehouse, a grain storage facility, and a parking garage for the trucks of a local collective farm. The altar in the church was destroyed. The altar apse was dismantled so that trucks could enter directly into the church building. The steeple of the church was also dismantled.
In recent years, the Pskov region has been experiencing a spiritual revival. The church building is once again in the caring hands of local Lutheran activists. Much work needs to be done before the church can return to its former glory. Local architect, Sergei Mikhailov, provided an ambitious renovation plan, and the group of volunteers obtained a blessing from the Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ingria in Russia.
In 2018, significant work was carried out to restore the collapsed brickwork of the walls of the church building. A lot of old, poor quality bricks were replaced with new ones.
However, due to the financial crisis, there is not enough money to continue the restoration. In order to be able to hold regular worship services in the church, a small, well-heated room is necessary. It was decided that the narthex at the entrance could be used for this purpose. The most important thing that needs to be done in the near future is to restore the roof over the narthex, install a wood-burning stove for heating, and complete the electrical wiring.
The cost of materials for the construction of the roof is 250,000 rubles (3187 Euros). The cost of the stove is 100,000 rubles (1275 Euros). Another 50,000 rubles (638 Euros) are needed to pay for the wiring.
Any contribution will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
For more information, please visit www.lauralut.org