I am asking for $75,000 to provide financing for a unique retail business that will run both on-line and off-line. Think Wayfair with a massive and 100% unique twist. You should consider this as an investment as it will be repaid with a return of up to 25% after 2 years.
- Unique and one of a kind take on an existing retail sector
- Inventory is at pennies on the dollar and unlimited
- Scalable growth leading to becoming a major internet brand
- Massive spin off business opportunities
I am opening a hybrid furniture/consumer products store that offers a unique outlook from traditional outlets.
This will be a retail warehouse location in Richmond, BC to start and then eastern Canada. All shipping initially will be done from our Richmond warehouse.
This would be easily scalable as there is nothing else like it in this space. There is also an unlimited supply of inventory available at pennies on the dollar.
The big difference is that we will take the damaged products that are otherwise in good condition and re-furbish them...unlike thrift or used stores who sell all of their product as is. This would include recovering, re-finishing, re-plating, re-wiring and repairing. Of course, we will also buy and re-sell good quality products as well both new and gently used.
It would also lend itself well to territories or franchising, allowing independents to create their own inventory and sell it on our Re-Appearance platform...both in Canada and the US. By 2 years in we will be selling branded territories with a subscription payment for marketing and platform support.
Currently, there are a plethora of furniture and houseware vendors on the internet. Also, there is a large presence in our area in new furniture and housewares outlets.
We would be competing against both of these, as well as those selling at the used or thrift store level. For this, there is very little competition locally.
The big advantage is that we fall right in the middle of these 2 market sectors both online and offline so our objective is to target middle income earners, mostly female, who rent or are somewhat house poor.
Modest projections show the business doing a little over $250K in year one. This should realize a profit of between $2,000 & $2,400/mo.
Our initial cost are as follows:
- Monthly expenses 18K/mo
- capital expenditure $25K
- Inventory $20K worth $50,000
- Contingency $10K
- Advertising & Marketing $2k/mo
- Total $75K
These costs will all be interspersed over the first three months as per business plan.
There are also 4 separate offshoot businesses planned within the first 5 years that would fully complement the original business premise including.
There is both a charitable and environmental aspect to this business:
- A portion of the profits from recycled products will be donated to various charities. If you wanted to donate in the name of a charity, I will ensure they receive a donation in your name.
- The whole premise of this project is that there is thousands of tons of items that could be easily reclaimed and refurbished that would normally end up in the landfill.
- I am a massive supporter and believer in socially conscious commerce and am a strong detractor of publicly traded retail. This business will create an entity that will challenge some of the corporate greed and predatory practices that are prevalent in today's retail environment.
- It will give Canadian small businesses an opportunity to compete and prosper.
- Canada wide, this business will create hundreds of direct and spin-off jobs. Once introduced to the US you could be talking thousands of jobs.
I am 55 and have spent my whole life working and raising my family. It is now time for me to spend the next 12-15 years building a legacy for my family and a retirement that is comfortable.I have over 30 years experience selling into the local community as well as abroad. Proficient in all aspects of running and growing this type of business.
The team members I take on board will have experience and passion within this industry. Much of the work on the products will be performed by skilled trades that will be personally vetted. Many of them are people I already know. I am fully cognizant of the importance of putting the right people in the right place and ensuring they are given the tools and training to exceed at their jobs.
Thankyou for taking the time to review the above and please contact me with any questions you may have.