Due to the number of issues currently in the Australia Parliament’s tight schedule, the Magnitsky Act may not be put forward to the Parliament within this year. This mean that there may be significant delays before this important act comes into effect in defending human rights and protecting individuals forced to flee their home country due to political prosecution and other crimes against humanity.
With the onslaught of Myanmar’s military coup, Hong Kong’s ever-escalating political prosecution, the Uyghur genocide, deculturing of the Tibetans, and many more global human rights crises, the Magnitsky Act is now ever more important. Most other western democratic countries are already protected by their own versions of a Magnitsky Act; what is Australia waiting for?
The Australia-Hong Kong Link and numerous groups of representatives of people currently affected by political prosecution and other human rights violations, including Hongkongers, Tibetans, Uyghurs, Vietnamese and non-CCP-sympathetic Chinese, have now gathered as one to publish a full-page advertisement in The Australian before the end of this month, ahead of the government’s response to the Committee report on the act’s legislation, to raise public and media awareness of the pressing issue, to give the oppressed a voice and a chance to be heard; to give the Australian Government the final push it needs to legislate such an important Act.
This fundraiser is therefore set up for the purpose of raising money for this campaign in The Australian. The $34,000 target includes advertising fee paid to The Australian (majority of funding), fee paid to the designer who is drafting the advertisement for us at a low cost of $500 and any fees required for the use of any copyright images.
Help us now in the fight for human rights and universal values!
Participating organisations (in alphabetical order):
- Adelaide – Stand with Hong Kong
- The Alliance For Democracy in Vietnam
- The Australian Alliance for Thai Democracy
- The Australian and New Zealand Alliance for the Victims of the Chinese Communist Regime
- Australia-Hong Kong Link
- Australian Tibetan Community Association National
- Australian Uyghur Association
- Brisbane International Student Solidarity with Hong Kong (BISSHK)
- Canberra Hong Kong Concern
- Chinese Democracy Movement Alliance in Australia (Melbourne)
- Falun Dafa Association of Australia Inc.
- Federation for a Democratic China
- Hong Kong International Alliance Brisbane
- Human Rights Relief Foundation (HRRF)
- The International Youth Movement for Human Rights
- Myanmar Students' Association Australia
- Our Vietnam
- Perth – Anti CCP Association
- Qi's Cultural Foundation
- Sydney Network for Democracy in China (SN4DC)
- Tan Dai Viet Party
- Uyghur Association of Victoria
- Victoria Hongkongers Association (Australia)
- Viet Liberty
- The Vietnam League of Ex-Prisoners of Conscience & Victims of Communism in Australia Inc. (NSW Chapter)
- Vietnamese Australian Lawyers' Association (VALA)
- The Vietnamese Australian Literature Art Association
- Vietnamese Community in Australia NSW Chapter
- Vietnamese Community in Australia VIC Chapter
- Vietnamese Women's Association in NSW
- VOICE Australia