Qurbani (or ‘Udhiya’, an Arabic word meaning ‘sacrifice’) is an Islamic ritual and act of worship where Muslims who have the financial means perform the rites of a sacrifice of a livestock animal, traditionally a sheep, a cow or a goat, for the glorification of Allah to celebrate of Eid ul Adha.
Sacrificing an animal is a ritual undertaken by Muslims around the world on the Tenth Day of the month of Dul-Hijah. The sacrifice commemorates the slaughter by the Prophet Ibrahim of a ram as a divine dispensation in place of the initial order by Allah to sacrifice his son Ismail. The meat of the animal slaughtered is partly consumed by the family undertaking the ritual and the rest is donated to the poor and destitute.
In the midst of Gaza crises, Qurbani packs are more important than ever. Where the population in Gaza Strip reached circa 2,100,000 at the beginning of 2019, and the latest survey released by (PCBS) in May, showed a significant increase in poverty rates in the Gaza Strip: from 38.8 per cent in 2011 to 53 per cent by the end of 2018. This means that around 1.01 million people, including over 400,000 children, don't have the financial means to cover their basic needs particularly food.
Concerning the mentioned above, Hope Bridge Charitable Association is seeking to bring donations to distribute fresh meat packages to the most vulnerable people - women, children, the elderly, disabled, widows and displaced by wars. Each meat package distributed should contain a sufficient amount of for a family of five for at least one week.
This project is essential for many vulnerable families who don't have the financial ability to purchase meat products and nutritious food they need. The Qurbani payments that will be made by the donors are going to provide a chance for the poorest families and their children living in the most marginalized areas of Gaza to eat and enjoy the meat that they can get in this time of the year only. Also, it will absolutely give them the feeling and the knowledge that they are cared for and supported by others during the joyous occasion of Eid ul Adha.
Who we are?
Hope Bridge Association (HBA) is a Palestinian non-profit charitable organization, licensed by the Ministry of Interior under the title "GA-1123-C". HBA was established in 2015 by a group of skilled and experienced youth who are aspired to serve their people who suffer from siege, unemployment, poverty, and all harsh living conditions.
HBA works in the marginalized and rural areas in the Gaza Strip, and seeks to serve poor people in Gaza Strip, and to help them get their basic needs. Different marginalized groups are targeted; children, women, orphans, disabled, poor, unemployed, and war-affected at the border areas.
Who the project will help?
Qurbani project will provide the halal meat / Qurbani meat for the people in need and for those who can't afford to purchase meat products including widows, orphans, the destitute, the elderly,and people with disabilities who are living in the most marginalized areas of Gaza city.
Why Should I do my Qurbani with Hope Bridge?
It's our priority to assist people in need and lend a hand to help those who can't provide for their families,so through this project, we're not only helping you to feed families waiting an entire year to have meat on their plates, but we're also providing you an opportunity to fulfill your religious obligations and follow in the footsteps of the Prophet by sacrificing an animal and sharing the halal meat with the poor and destitute in the festivities of Eid Al-Adha.
Why How many people will be fed with Qurbani?
Qurbani Project will bring much-needed food relief to 1,250 families living in poverty and each family will be provided with 1 kg of meat.
How many animals will be purchased for the project?
We will purchase two cows and three sheep with 6,100$ to be processed and distributed on the days of Eid to feed the charity's registered beneficiries.
What is the process like for the meat preparation and distribution?
Hope Bridge team will be personally on the ground to cut, package and hand deliver the fresh meat to the families who need it the most in our selected distribution locations in Gaza and we will make sure that the Qurbani is performed in the right Islamic way by using 100% halal meat from healthy animals (sheep and cows).
What are the animals that eligible for slaughtering?
- The animal should have reached the required age, which is six months for a sheep, one year for a goat, two years for a cow.
- The animal for slaughtering should be free of any kind of faults or diseases such as: a one-eyed animal whose defect is obvious, a sick animal whose sickness is obvious, a lame animal whose limp is obvious and an emaciated animal that has no marrow in its bones.
- The animal must be alive at the time of slaughter that is the animal being sacrificed has to be alive and it’s preferable for it to be awake.
What are the activities included in the project execution phase?
- Selecting the team involved in the project and preparing a detailed implementation plan.
- Purchasing the selected number of the cows and sheep that will be distributed in Eid Al-Adha.
- Identifying beneficiaries and draw up beneficiary lists.
- Identifying the logistics and promotional requirements that will be used in the field and documentation processes such as: Coupons, Posters, Brochures, etc.
- Coordination of the Qurbani meat distribution with local committees and with other NGOs working in the area in order to avoid duplication and ensure maximum impact.
- Contacting with the beneficiaries to receive their coupons from the head office of HBA in Gaza.
- Slaughtering of cows and sheep based on Islamic and health standards, and distribution of Qurbani meat packs to selected beneficiaries.
- Ensuring all beneficiaries sign the beneficiary list form to acknowledge receipt of the meat package
- Producing the necessary media material such as photos and videos for documentation and media publishing.
What are the expected outcomes of Qurbani project?
- Benefiting 1,250 individuals that are registered in HBA computerized database by covering their needs of halal meat in Eid Ul Adha.
- Feeding the hungry families living in most marginalized areas of Gaza city and allowing them to enjoy the fresh meat during Eid celebrations.
- Ensuring that the sacrifice reaches to those most in need and give an access to the nutritious food that they only get in the days of Eid.
- Enhancing the coordination with the NGOs working in the same field by distributing meat to their selected beneficiaries.
How to support us?
- Making a donation to GoGetFunding and be the reason behind providing joy for families in need in Eid Al-Adha
- Spreading the word about our campaign and sharing it on social media platforms.
- Telling your friends and families about our campaign and encouraging them to make a donation of 30$ minimum to feed the needy.
- You can also reach out to us via our Facebook page or send an email to:[email protected]