€1,025.00raised of €1,500.00 goal goal
Hi! If you don't know already, my name is Leila Mulhall and I am looking to volunteer with the PMGY organisation in Sri Lanka in June. I aim to spend the month volunteering in an orphanage in the village of Ambalangoda, as well as helping out with turtle conservation while I am there. While I will be raising a good chunk of the money on my own, I would really appreciate any donations to assist with aspects such as travel insurance, visa application, flights, and injections! Of course, if you are going to be so generous as to donate some money, you would want to know the type of things I would be doing on a day to day basis:
- In Sri Lanka, many children live in care homes for a multitude of reasons. Poverty is a root cause, with the parent/s not feeling that they can adequately provide for their child. Many of the children that I will be working with may have been abandoned by their parents, abused, lost both parents, or not come from a family that can support them in achieving the quality of life that they deserve.
- My main duty will be to support the educational and emotional development of these children through interactive games enhancing their English, sports games, and just to spend quality time with them to make them feel loved and cared about, which is something they might not have had prior
- Fishing is one of the major industries in Ambalangoda, so sea turtles are often found caught up in fishing nets and many have become disabled and unable to survive in the wild. Plastic pollution is also becoming a huge problem worldwide. I will be protecting and rehabilitating sea turtles whilst also helping at community development projects in Sri Lanka. Many species of turtles are now at risk of becoming endangered, so my main aims are to raise awareness of plastic pollution, care for injured and disabled turtles and release freshly hatched babies into the wild, safe from natural risks and local poachers.
- In a typical day, I will be completing tasks such as:
- Preparing fresh food and assisting feeding
- Beach cleans
- Cleaning and refilling the turtle tanks
- Assisting with medication
- Designing education boards around the sanctuary
- Releasing hatched baby turtles into the sea
- Leila Mulhall
No updates for this campaign just yet