I have never asked for anything in my life & therefore I don’t know how to begin.
In 2015 I noticed a lump on the right side of my neck & went to my house doctor who send me for a sonar but told me not to worry. That time my thyroid was 9.5 x 2.5cm. In 2016 I noticed the lump is getting bigger & once again my house doctor send me for a sonar & again telling me not to worry as my thyroid has grown to 10.7 x 3cm, but I don’t need surgery as it is not over or under active.
Two years later & my problems started. On the 6th June 2018 I felt something was wrong. I could not breath & while working in PTA drove to the nearest hospital where I told the doctors to please help as I can’t breath. At that stage the doctors thought I had a blood cloth in my lungs & transported me with an ambulance to Dalview hospital in Brakpan as I am staying in the East Rand. For two days they treated me for blood clots until the doctor decided to send me for a sonar on my thyroid as my neck was swollen badly. This time my right lobe was measured at 24x15mm & left lobe at 16x15mm. The doctor wanted to operate immediately as this was putting my life in danger. The medical insurance I was on (won’t mention who) refused to pay for this operation & told me I need to be out of the hospital by the 13th June otherwise I will pay the bills myself seeing this was a prior condition to them. They also advised the doctor I must get this operation in a state hospital which I can’t do as getting an infection in a state hospital is a big risk.
On the 31st July I went to see Dr A Cairns at the Donald Gordon Medical Clinic in Parktown. This doctor discovered that my windpipe has moved to the left side as my right thyroid gland is squashing it & now that the left side is also growing it is squashing it more making it difficult for me to breath. A normal thyroid gland must be 4x2mm to function normal. I have changed medical aids but because of this condition they won’t cover me for the first year.
I am in desperate need for fundings for this operation & therefore ask that you open your hearts for any donation possible that can help me get the right treatment. I can’t wait a year for my medical aid to kick in to cover the process as my windpipe is narrowing & some nights when I sleep I wake up struggling to breath. The doctor said he can’t take out fluids from the thyroids to make them smaller as it developed into heterogeneous nodules. I hope you can assist as I don’t have the findings for this operation & have post this on my FB page for people to open their hearts for any contributions.
Kindly note that the quotations do not include:
Pathologists +/- R3500
ICU Dr (Dr Schleicher) - R5000
Nerve Monitor +/- R3500
I hope you can assist as I don’t have time to spare for this procedure. I have now been taking Brazepam 3mg to relax me in breathing a bit better. Without these meds I get panic attacks as my breathing worsens.