I invite you to meet this sweet stray named Layca María; she is in a very poor state of health, requiring urgent treatment for her advanced anemia, open wound, ehrlichia and scabies. There's one lady who wants to adopt her, but she doesn't have enough funds for saving her life, so I need to give Layca the veterinary care that she needs first. If she survives, she will have a forever home. I have seen beautiful miracles happening before, and I know that if we all work together we will be able to create one wonderful miracle for this princess.
Her levels of hemoglobin and platelets are terrifying down; she has her hemoglobin in 7,8 when the normal levels for a dog must be between 12 and 18, and the platelets are in 90.000 when the normal level must be in between of 150.000 and 450.000. Layca got positive on Ehrlichia, one sickness that affects the red blood cells and destroys them, she hasn't received any kind of help for controlling her Ehrlichia before and it's really important to start controlling it as soon as posible. When I found her, I noticed that she had an open wound in her posterior part and during the check-up at the vet we realized that it was infected with a lot of maggots; the vet inmediately started to remove every maggot carefully. Layca also needs a treatment for her scabies, there's some parts of her body that are completely bald.
The vet doesn't knows how she has survived alone in the streets with such a terrible health status, and he says that Layca will surely die soon if she doesn't receive help, and I'm asking the support of my friends in twitter because the treatment involves a lot of things that I can't afford by myself. The first part of the treatment lasts 21 days and includes:
- Doxicilina 100 mg: This is an antibiotic, Layca needs 1 pill and half every day during 21 days.
- Omeprazol This is a gastric protector, since the stomach of a dog is delicate and the other medicines are agressive. She needs to receive one each day, 10 or 15 minutes before of the rest of the medicines.
- Folic acid 10 mg: This will help to raise Layca's hemoglobin.
- Elizabethan collar: Because of her wound and skin sickness, it's important to prevent her from hurting herself during the healing process; if she licks the wound or her skin, it will damage the healing process.
- Shampoo Pro-Benzoil and iodized soap: She needs to receive one special bath per week, the Shampoo Pro-Benzoil is one of the most expensives shampoo's because it's an agressive treatment against scabies and fungus. Due to the situation of her skin and wound, she also needs iodized soap.
- Spray Kiver: It's and spray that will clean the wound, preventing it from getting infected again and accelerating the healing process. Right now, her wound is still open and if she doesn't receives the spray she could get myiasis again.
- Special food: Layca's anemia won't heal using only good quality dog food, she didn't receive treatment in a long time and right now her body lacks hemoglobin and platelets. For getting a full and fast recovery, she needs to have one special feeding during at least two months, that includes; chicken's breast, chicken's liver, beet, carrots...In Venezuela, not even humans eat Chicken's breast because of the price, but Layca's in a critical situation and it's what she needs for recovering.
The second part of her treatment starts after her third bath, then I will have to add amitraz to the treatment of her skin. The third part of the treatment starts after 21 days, when I have finished giving her the prescribed doxicilina I will be able to start giving her dermocan, it's a medicine that prevents any kind of alergic reaction to the treatment of her skin. I know that Layca will need a lot of dedication from me and I'm up to doing every effort, I will cook for her, I will bath her, I will take her to the vet...I will show her that her life does means something and she deserves love and help, because it breaks my heart to see how sick this sweet princess is, how desperately she is needing help. She won't survive longer if she doesn't receive help, I know I'm not the only one wanting to save her life and that's why I'm creating this fundraiser; I can't save her alone, but I can give her a voice for reaching good-hearted people.