My name is Violet Polelo Selwana (24), an African woman born from a rural village called Seabe Mpumalanga Province, but here up in a township called Mabopane (Gauteng Province). I am woman who believes that nothing is impossible regardless of the circumstances that is in. I am organised, accountable, hard-working, friendly, passionate about Leadership and Change.
I am the first child to University by the name of Rhodes University studying towards Bachelor of commerce majors Information systems and Management. I believe that I am the product of my family's influence and background; the way that I view the world has been moulded and shaped by my siblings who continue to be a source of motivation and inspiration in my life.Though I’m in need of airfare ticket assistance to realise what has been a long-term goal for me and a dream to come true.
I would like to combat socio-economic ills within South African society focused on Sustainable Development Goals such as Poverty, Education and striving to be a leader that will advocate for social justice and economic advancement. Hult Prize Accelerator that will bring together the top 40 teams across the world for 6 weeks at London Hult Castle.I happened to be one of the Campus Directors invited to join the Hult Prize Accelerator for a week at the Hult Castle from the 17th August to the 24th August 2019.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Hult Prize Accelerator is a global ecosystem of business leaders, mentors, investors and corporate partners help forge a path for our students to become entrepreneurs and support their development for life, prominent speakers and panellists, a start-up showcase ,multiple pitching competitions, networking opportunities with investors with investors. https://www.hultprize.org/accelarator/
SERIES OF EVENTS (AIMS)
• Networking-10000+ business leaders though events, workshops and referrals.
• Mentorship-access to one on one office hours from leaders across the world.
• Coaching – Supports students start-ups and refine business models.
• Facilities -State of the art campus and living arrangements with custom programming in a private castle.
Tony Robbins even says “ what you focus on you attract”. Have you ever had a problem and thought about it the worse it seemed to get? That’s the same idea, as you think about the problem more, but nothing gets fixed.
SKILLS I POSSESS
I have proven track of my excellent communication and interpersonal skills with record of student leadership and public organisations. Also I have gained valuable leadership skills and experience through social engagement and access. Willing to learn , Team working, Entrepreneurial and fund-raising skills, Numeracy, Organising , Project Management, System Development projects, Coding ( html, CSS, Microsoft Visio code/studio, Microsoft office) , Problem solving,Fast learner, proactive, Commitment and self awareness.
Achievements and Awards 2018/9
• Top 500 Student Leader “ GradStar awards” across universities in South Africa.
• Certificate of engaged student from Rhodes University Community Engagement as part of my volunteering work.
• Certificate of completion , member of Activate Leadership Changes Drivers Programmes in South Africa.
• Certificate of completion of successful On Campus Programme for Hult Prize at Rhodes University.
• Certificate of appreciation as Campus Director for Hult Prize Rhodes University from Hult Prize Foundation.
• One of the Team coming under the leadership and campus event of my organisation Hult Prize Rhodes University managed to win at Kenya Nairobi Regionals will be proceeding to Global Finals.
• Alumni for International Global Network Events (AYIMUN,AWMUN,SASAMBO,YOUTEX, GGMUN Etc)- A network where we connect youth and future leaders to the world. http://globalgoalsmun.org
• Campus Director for Hult Prize Rhodes University 2018/2019
( Hult Prize Foundation) is a global movement engine that is in partnership with the United Nations where I work with students across the world focused on student entrepreneurship and start-ups. http://www.hultprizeat.com/rhodes
• Ambassador and Master Mentor of the New York Academy of Science (NYAS) a global stem alliance (1000girls 1000futures). 1000girls1000futures is a groundbreaking initiative designed to engage young women interested in Science,Technology, Entrepreneurial and Math (STEM). Advance their pursuit of STEM careers through mentoring and 21st Century skills development. https://www.nyas.org
• Activator in the Activate Leadership Changes Drivers a national network of young leaders equipped to drive change for the public good across South Africa.
• Alumni and former Marketing Director of Enactus Rhodes University .Enactus is a community if students ,academics and business leaders committed to using the power of entrepreneurial action to transform lives and shape a better more sustainable world and a curious and keen focusing on achieving the three bottom line principles and United Sustainable Goals.
• Social Media Administrator, Volunteer, Former Student Leader and Facilitator Environmental Clubs for Children of the Soil (COTS) non-profit organization which focuses on teaching and fostering environmental awareness amongst youth around environmental preservation issues , initiatives in Grahamstown community.
• For the past 3 years, I have been participating in various community engagement activities in different departments at Rhodes University that were aimed at empowering various members of the society.
MY REASONS OF INTEREST AS A LEADER
I Seek to grow and further enhance my leadership skills and have a positive impact on society at large.I subscribe of philosophy of Servant Leadership because I seek to serve other people to ensure their wellbeing and growth in our society. As a servant leader, I always pledge to Listen, Encourage, Advise, Emphasise, Deliver and Respect ( LEADER). These responsibilities are of interest to me to learn and grow into it. I will have the opportunity to either initiate a sustainable development project that will impact the youth.
WHY SHOULD I BE SPONSORED
I believe being part of the Hult Prize Accelerator will give me the opportunity to help me improve, grow and contribute positively to my extra career curriculum of leadership lessons with MOGI Global Leadership School an online school of emerging leaders in the world. Also I will grow my goal-setting capabilities, self-reliance, independence and personal growth. It will also equip my professional skills working with different people.
I see this as the greatest opportunity, which will be beneficial in terms of gaining more knowledge and motivation as a youth leader to make my dreams come true. Through lived experiences, I have noted the harsh realities of poverty and marginalisation experienced by many South Africans in rural areas. I am wholeheartedly motivated towards bridging the widening gap between the privileged and unprivileged members our society through my education and knowledge. Furthermore, I believe I was born to make a valuable contribution through my personal accomplishments coupled by my drive and perseverance through hard conditions. My values are that of accountability, excellence , integrity, respect, trust, Open communication and I believe they are great qualities of enabling me to be a great asset to invest in.
I have a deep rooted love for my country “South Africa” and that makes me not to be afraid to put myself in the line that allows me to be the change and bring solutions to society's challenges. By and large, I am passionate to contribute to the intellectual pool of the world through student interactions, mentoring , environmental activities, entrepreneurship and community engagement by ensuring communities are equipped with the right skills and competencies that enable them to success in life and in return to contribute to the community. Apart from my country, I also contribute to the improvement of social engagement and access across the world.
BENEFITS OF SPONSORING ME
• I will continue with the same diligence to my collegiate studies as I have to this point, making education and service to others my top priority.
• I will represent your organisation/your brand well during my campaigns.
• To share the ideas, strategies and lessons I will gain from the Hult Prize Accelerator it can be through a presentation, lecture talk with students or management.
• To share the experience and knowledge gained with fellow youth to be motivated and learn.
• Constant appreciation remarks throughout the event and trip.ie Social Media platforms and verbally.
In conclusion, I believe I was born to make a valuable contribution in the society.
“ Mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor and some style” – Maya Angelou