This serves to confirm that South African and Durban based multitalented artist and KZN Kwaito music pioneer Sandy B has been booked to perform in our biggest annual festival Distortion Festival in Copenhagen, Denmark 20th Anniversary. This event will take place from end of May in 2018 till the 2 ND of June 2018. Sandy B is one of the artists whose music is loved by all in many parts of the world and has received thumbs up in European countries following the global re-release of his timeless 90’s album AmaJovi Jovi by a Canadian label. His music has received good airplay in Europe and US including radio stations like BBC 1 with over 9 million listeners. He has a unique Kwaito sound which is loved in the music industry. This is one of the reasons why the organisers felt it will be a great idea to have him at this festival not to represent South Africa only but Africa as a whole. Distortion is a multi-genre, city wide music festival/party in Copenhagen. Consisting of three parts, Distortion Club, Distortion Ø and Street Parties, the festival is spread throughout the Danish capital, taking many shapes and forms. Every year, Copenhagen is transformed into a party utopia, with happenings of all shapes and sizes popping up everywhere. Distortion's wide-ranging musical offerings are centred around dance music, with line-ups ranging from emerging talent to some of the most respected names in the business. With more than 100,000 visitors per day, the festival is one of the biggest in the world and can only be described as organised chaos.
This is what is required by Sandy B and his production team:
- Transportation: 6 return flights to Denmark which are priced at R12 500 per person. This figure is exclusive of transport from Denmark airport to the hotel and performance venues.
- Meals for two weeks in Denmark. They will also be required to do an exhibition (interviews) which will also present an opportunity for Sandy B to market Ethekwini as a sophisticated destination with an extensive variety of musical activities. He will also act as an ambassador assisting Ethekwini in its strife in building and defending the Durban brand, thus ensuring that it remains not only the national destination of choice, but also that of the global market.
- Accommodation: 2 weeks hotel fees for 6 people – Estimated at R18 000
- Visa fees - Estimated R1530 p/p
- He will be required to arrive at least a week before, so that he can settle and conduct some master classes about the history of 90’s Kwaito music which he was part of. Sandy B was the first Kwaito artist in KwaZulu Natal to release a Kwaito album and is known to have paved a way for many others who came after him and we wish him to share his experience with people that are showing interest in his sound in this part of the world.
- Kwaito music blends very well with SA original township dance Pantsula. On our conversation with Sandy B he agreed with us and confirmed that he will bring along dancers and a production team to back him on stage.
The request is in line with your vision and key functions of: Marketing of Durban to Domestic & International Markets. Sandy B understand the fact that Durban as a leading South African Tourist destination should be marketed globally. This is in line with your mission statement of achieving Economic development and facilitating job creation for the benefit of All the people of the Metropolitan region.