Penfield Reef Lighthouse c. 1874
The Penfield Reef Lighthouse is a 51 foot tall octagonal light structure attached to a square two-story keeper's quarters building, approximately 28' x 28' (approximately 1,568 usable square feet), constructed of granite and timber frames. The light structure was built in the Second Empire Style and was established in 1874. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, reference #89001473, dated May 12, 1990.
The structure is set upon a concrete filled foundation surrounded by rip-rap, 108' in diameter. There is a boat landing which projects from the north side and a metal ladder to reach two (2) flights of steps which connect the landing with the main deck above and rip-rap below.
The property marks a submerged reef which extends southeastward from Fairfield Beach, Connecticut, into Long Island Sound. It is located approximately one mile from the entrance of Black Rock Harbor.
It is accessible by boat only.