The Holy Monastery of The Virgin Mary (in Greek Virgin Mary) Kato Xenia is in Almyros near the city of Volos, in the prefecture of Magnesia. Its former name was "Monastery of Ag. Nikolaou” and was part of what currently is the male Monastery of Ano Xenia. It hosts the miraculous Icon of The Virgin Mary Xenia. The process of its latest renovation was completed in 1930. The Monastery of The Virgin Mary Kato Xenia was transformed into a convent in 1962.
The Holy Monastery celebrates the apodosis of the Dormition of the Mother of God on the 23rd of August, during which crowds of faithful visit it to venerate the miraculous icon of The Virgin Mary Xenia, which according to tradition has been treasured since the time of iconoclasm.
The personal history of many Christians, from the surrounding area, or even further, could be the most indisputable witness for the certification of the protection that The Virgin Mary offered and offers in abundance to each individual who invokes her with pain of soul and great faith. In addition, the monastery hosts a silver case containing two small pieces of the Holy Cincture of the Virgin Mary, which were donated by the Holy Monastery of Vatopedi on Mount Athos in 1522. It is a unique relic in Orthodoxy.
On 9th of July, 1980, a very strong earthquake turned almost the entire province of Almyros into an amorphous mass of ruins. The monastery of Kato Xenia was also affected incalculably. Only the outer walls remained to a large extent to remind the old beauty of the Monastery. The nuns were saved at the last moment by a miraculous intervention of the Virgin Mary. The earthquake made the monastery uninhabitable. The main church was restored by the authority of Byzantine Antiquities. The new monastery of Virgin Mary was to be built in the area adjacent to the old monastery. On 4th of June, 1990, the monastic community, which for ten whole years lived in makeshift wooden stumps, was relocated to the new building.
Regarding the issue of the restoration of the old monastery, an effort has been made in recent years, in order to restore the cells. Once the restoration is completed, the building will be transformed into small rooms offering accommodation to the pilgrims. There will also be a museum room devoted to modern ecclesiastical and national history, and one conference room. The project has already started and the south wing of the Monastery is near completion, despite the fact that no national authorities contributed in any way. The whole project is exclusively supported financially by the pious pilgrims of the monastery, who believe in the grace of the Virgin Mary and they feel her presence in the monastery. Unfortunately, the project of restoration is in danger of being cancelled due to the crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic that prevented pilgrims visiting the Monastery.
Therefore, we humbly ask for your contribution, so that the project of restoration may be completed. We firmly believe that The Virgin Mary will enlighten pious souls to contribute to the project, which has as its sole purpose to provide the best service to the pilgrims and the smooth continuation of the work performed in the Monastery, which is none else but the salvation of souls.
We would also like to inform our pious donors that they can send us names for commemoration, for the health and for the rest of the souls of their loved ones, which will be commemorated daily during the Divine Liturgy and the Paraklesis celebrated in front of the miraculous icon of The Virgin Mary Xenia and the Holy Cincture of the Virgin Mary.