My 21 year old sister, Pamela, is diagnosed with Rheumatic Heart Disease. Lala (as we call her) encountered a motorcycle accident last May 2016. Doctors noticed that she had an enlarged heart which was unlikely of her state that time. Further laboratories and work-up were conducted and they found that she had Severe Mitral Stenosis and must undergo a Mitral Valve Replacement procedure the soonest possible time. Our family was extremely surprised and saddened with the news because we never would have guessed that she had the said condition. My sister was 20 years old by then and was a 4th year Accountancy student; she was later advised to temporarily stop with her studies to avoid further stress. The doctor we consulted told us to raise Php600, 000.00 for the procedure which can only be performed at Manila and Cebu. Being the family breadwinner, I was practically in denial because aside from worsening condition of my sister, we had no financial capability to pursue with the procedure. Our family’s financial state did not further improve that year when my mother was hospitalized due to worsening Diabetes Mellitus and a kidney problem. As survivors of Typhoon Haiyan, our family was still in an uncomfortable position. My mother, being sickly, has no work and my father resigned on 2014 to use his separation pay to rebuild our house.
A friend helped me to seek the help of a doctor at Philippine Heart Center (PHC). The doctor was said to be connected with an NGO that will help us with the finances of the operation especially for the post-operation treatment. We submitted the requirements and have been waiting to be scheduled since August 2016. Unfortunately, a year has passed and we received no news of the schedule of operation. By God's grace, I came upon a dentist who knew a cardiologist at PHC and so I decided to bring my sister there with her recommendation.
During the consultation last September 14, 2017 with the cardiologist, he informed us that the procedure is packaged at Php600,000.00. This still excludes the post-ops treatment which is another expense to consider. I went to the Social Welfare Office to seek help but was advised that if we apply for charity, we will have to change doctors and wait (with no guaranteed date) for my sister's operation. I decided, upon my better judgment, to no longer wait again considering the condition of my sister. So I discussed this with the doctor and set the operation schedule on November 14, 2017.
I already came up with an amount of money and will use this mostly to defray for the lodging, food and transportation as we will have to stay in Manila for almost a month for her treatment. We don’t have any relatives in Manila which makes it even harder as the expenses will wear us down the longer we stay there.
We hope that someone reading this could help our family with the much needed assistance. I know this is a huge amount of money and we have never imagined ourselves to be in this position. Yet, we humbly request for any help that anyone could extend to cover for the cost of my sister’s operation come November 14, 2017. I am shamelesly exhausting all efforts to save my sister's life. She still has so much to live for and I could never thank you enough for your help.
If you wish to send your donations, here is my personal account
Account Name: Cristina Marie Alissandra V. Redubla
Thank You for your help...
God Bless us all.