Hello Family and Friends
Food security in the Southern African region is unstable.With the current COVID-19 pandemic, the Kingdom of Eswatini is now experiencing an acute food shortage that will be more of an imminent threat to life than the invincible covid-19.Currently food prices are increasing by up to 30%.More than 70% the population of about 1.3 million cannot afford to spend 1 US dollar a day and over 80% of fresh vegetables are imported from the neighboring Republic of South Africa.
Vertical farming is to maximize farm space and engrave permaculture farming. As a result, a produce of high quality vegetables using a controlled environment will be achievable.This will assist in influencing an affordable healthy eating life-style amongst the populace.
This is achievable using Nets (60% shade) to cover up the hector garden in order to provide a controlled environment.A drip irrigation system that will need a pump, a solar panel and 100mm pipes that will be usable in the vertical infrastructure.Timers are essential equipment that will assist in monitoring the watering program to achieve maximum results. It will be a cost saving vertical system, which will focus on growing tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, beans, strawberry, and onions.
Beehives will be strategically place within the garden to provide pollination services to the garden whilst simultaneously producing honey.Thus, needs for tools and materials to make beehives are essential too.
Unique Selling Point (USP)
- Utility.This system allows you to integrate different crops vertically, a system that is not used by farmers in Eswatini.
- Ethics.The ethical question being answered by this system is that the environment is protected from the harmful effects of tilling the land using fossil fuel run equipment.Furthermore, the question of producing organic products for the community at an affordable price answers not only the question of ethics but morality too.
- Cutting-edge Technology.This system collapses an area to increase production five times which increases the population fed and increase profits that give one the opportunity to grow quicker and liquid cash to deal with the capacities that come with rapid growth.
- Brand personality.Organic vegetables: a step up from vegetable products that are pumped with chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
- Cost savings.The system that will not break your back or the bank in the literal sense in that labor works vertically to tender to the crops unlike in the conventional farming whereby such activities are done exclusively on the ground.Such relieves the labor of back pain in the long term of their lives.
The cost savings is in the fact that the tractors will no longer be used but organic material will be used which promotes composting which reduces the amount of waste in the landfills.The environmental impact will be positive in reducing carbon-emitting equipment in the production process.
Why is this project personal for me?
I grew up farming with my grandmother. She instilled in one the importance of producing one’s own food in order to save more money and get more money by selling the surplus.The land which my life’s lesson were being taught in is now under my responsibility and it’s my turn to farm to eat and sell the surplus and practice my life long lessons
What made me so passionate about it?
Growing up tendering to plants introduced me to honeybees. They would always fascinate a young self when pollinating my plants and I am currently an apiculture facilitator.
Why am i uniquely qualified to turn this idea into reality?
I have a certificate in Vegetable Production, Seedling Improvement, and Management, a certificate in beekeeping and Honey Value Chain, and a Diploma in Commerce, and a Degree in Management both which I trained for at the University Of Eswatini (UNESWA)
The garden is versatile in that, various high-end vegetables are cultivated vertically under a controlled environment using nets.In addition to that, pollinators in honeybees are added to the system to guarantee plant and fruit health.