ONE SMALL SIP FOR MANKIND - ONE BIG STEP FOR OUR ENVIRONMENT
Our beautiful West Sumatra coast is unfortunately polluted by plastic :(
What we do on a regular basis is educate kids from all over Indonesia about pollution crisis and more specifically about plastic use: why plastic is not good for our and their environment and how they can help clean plastic in their own communities.
We do this through constant free education & learning in our own Harau valley (150 km from Padang city), in a brand new open air school, by spending time in West Sumatran jungle and forest. Having spent so much time in the nature, we all came up with a great idea how to use bamboo trees we have in abundance. So we decided to use natural, renewable and sustainable resources from our jungle and make bamboo straws!
We will try replacing plastic straws in restaurants and coffee shops with our reusable, all natural bamboo straws! Help us reach our goals!
3 reasons why plastic is bad for all of us: they harm our ocean life and ecosystem, plastic straws are used for a very short time but remain in nature for a long time and are full of chemicals, and not good for your teeth anyway.
100 reasons why bamboo straws are great: renewable resource, reusable, organic, biodegradable, compostable, disposable, sustainable, eco-friendly, fun, cool, each straw is unique, not two straws are alike! ... and so many other natural reasons you can think of!
WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP? :)
- we need to buy better tools which will help us cut bamboo and create straws easier
- new tools will give us ideas for new unique and innovative bamboo straw design
- we need help organising a schedule for our open air school in Harau valley. We currently rely on volunteers
- we need help with transportation of kids from the city of Padang on the coast to Harau valley in mainland (150km distance)
- eventually, once we have a great and unique product, we would like to create ideas for packaging and create materials for kids like educational books and brochures about pollution and plastic. This will make kids become our environment ambassadors when they travel back to their homes around Indonesia and share this idea among their family members.
We already have this project running for some time now, and we have had amazing results with bamboo straws. Some coffee shops and restaurants already started using our bamboo straws and we now help them get rid of unnecessary plastic. However we have limited production, due to limited time and resources. We put our primary focus now on education and learning for Indonesian children.
Help us become first Indonesian province (West Sumatra) to fully introduce bamboo straws in all hospitality related venues. It all starts from education and raising awareness, and we do it by educating children first!
Thank you from the bottom of our small hearts:)
And thank you from Minangkabau community - biggest matrilineal society in the world!