Ready to go for a retro go-kart race?
Oldies Racing allows you to experiment a brand new fun activity: driving
a motorized cyclekart on an indoor track (320 meters long). Unique in the
Amazing sliding sensations are to be discovered by the drivers as they
get into little replicas of 1900-1920’s cars. You can find us next to
the city of Lille (North of France).
Oldies Racing opened one year ago, on March 31st 2016. Now we wish to
strengthen our French creation and expand to foreign countries.
Oldies Racing’s concept comes from Claire and Michael’s idea. From co-employees in a transport company, we became business partners. We both like vintage cars and have complementary skills (trade and management).
In April 2014 we drove a cyclekart in UK for fun in a garden. Then we got an idea: why would not we make them race on a track? This has never been done before and we could rent the cyclekarts to customers, like go-karting. Our concept was born: retro karting.
Then we thought about sliding the cyclekarts on the track, to get more sensations and more fun.
Oldies Racing is by now the first track in the world where you can drive cyclekarts.
Cyclekart practice is going worldwide (Australia, USA, France and Argentina) because it fits every member of the family (better than go-kart).
- Driving a cyclekart is more like driving a car;
- Driving a cyclekart requires less physical effort because of sliding;
- The shape of the cyclekarts is funnier.
Since the beginning we welcomed more women (about 25%) and older customers (87 years old is the oldest!) than go-kart companies.
Now we wish to strengthen our French creation and expand to foreign countries.
At first Oldies Racing was financed by:
- Partners: 138 000 USD;
- Banks: 348 000 USD.
But we did not grow as fast as we expected to:
- We started to operate very late: 45 days waiting for an administrative authorization;
- Our production ability was limited to 40% of what was expected, because the cyclekart supplier was late delivering. Then he went bankrupt in June 2016, so we had to make the cyclekarts ourselves;
- So we started to communicate late, and had to find a more accurate message to make people understand our business.
We took challenges up and improved a lot:
- Our customers like the new driving feelings they are given in the cyclekarts (average number of races per client is 1.74);
- Our activities (professional driver greetings, vintage cars exhibitions, musical parties) make people come to us;
- We have an interesting local media coverage (press, radio, TV, social networks, professional exhibitions);
- People like our business meeting offer (unique activity, good service, easy entrance, big car park);
- We are able to build and maintain the cyclekarts by ourselves (we built two cyclekarts for children in October 2016).
Today we need 100 000 USD to strengthen our company in France (advertising and building new cyclekarts) and 400 000 USD to establish our company abroad (Europe and Middle East).
According to your contribution, we will offer discounts on races and/or to be part of our new creations abroad with a supply or franchise agreement. All offers are welcome!