My partner and I are making a trip to Leh Ladakh this August 2018. Whilst researching on the trip, we came across Ladakh Nuns Association (http://www.ladakhnunsassociation.com/history/). There are a few things that intrigued me to raise funds for this associations, namely:
1. Due to poor funding, the head count of nuns dwindled to only 300 in 1990s
2. Also due to the dwindling number of nunneries, most nun instead of venturing the path of spirituality, they became mere "servants" at home. Most uneducated.
3. Dr. Tsering Palmoa, a Ladakhi nun and traditional Tibetan Medical (Amchi) doctor decided to revive the tradition by building nunneries which provided education e.g.Buddhist philosophy, Tibetan Medicine Studies.
4. These nunneries provide equal opportunities to woman which is exceptional in most parts of the country.
5. There is effort to preserve culture and help the community e.g. herb collection, establishment of herbal dispensary, educating the local villagers etc.
6. I strongly believe education is key to changing the world for the better.
Raising awareness and funds is the least I can contribute at this stage. On the trip, I plan to visit the nunnery to share the raised funds. I hope can I be more involved in the future and get my hands dirty, physically helping in the nunnery.