My Music Gang
My Music Gang, is an educational community music program with an aim to create learning and exposure opportunities to at-risk children and youth from community homes/shelter or lower socioeconomic group in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with no access and interest to quality learning and education live in unstable environments, are ill-equipped for life’s challenges and exposed to social illness and abuses. My Music Gang includes a combination of musical training, song writing and performances, culminating in a Miniconcert and our special Megaconcert towards the end of the year, a public performance for all the program’s students. My music Gang will start the programme in 2019, therefore we are taking up this whole year (2018) to plan on the teaching methodology , fund raising , volunteer recruitment and so on.
- To reduce the percentage of social illness especially gangsterism
- To divert them from their hunting past experience and creating a path for the children and youth to enjoy childhood and adolescence by learning and developing music skills as well as attitudes.
- To create platform for them to express themselves
- To create employment opportunity
- To build leadership quality – 21st century learning
- To build the community through an arts and music driven content and methodology to build the life-skills, attitudes and socio-cultural awareness.
- To develop a partnerships approach and network with children, youth volunteers, music communities, NGOs, government organizations, commercial and educational units
How it works!
The program is work to develop a music program that teaches basic music education, coupled with human rights education and life skills. It focuses on helping the children to develop self- identity, value orientation, attitudes and helps to divert them from involving in social illness.. It gives them the opportunity to express themselves.
We are mainly focusing on
- Fundamental of music
- Rhythm and beat
- Vocal and pitch
- Own composition
My Music Gang is a pilot project before it changes into a full fledged programme. Below are the pilot project processes for 2019.
- 4 community homes will be choosen
- 20 students will be choosen from each community homes from Kuala Lumpur to participate in this project. (Well, it can be more or less, as long as the children and youth have fun and enjoy the learning process)
- 2 classes per week about 1.5 hrs each class.
- The program is to be led and delivered by musicians and artists, as well as through a network of volunteers
- Emotional and behavioral outcome
- Reductions in criminal behaviors
- Better cognitive skills
- Academic achievement
- Better school engagement and attendance
- producing employable , creative , entrepreneurs