Good day to everyone! My name is Annaliza, Moesha Villaflor's Aunt.
First of all, I would like to thank you all so much for taking your time to click this fundraising campaign for my niece's kidney transplant.
I would like to introduce my sweet little niece, who goes by the name Moesha Villaflor. Ever since she was little, she amazed us with her vocabulary and communication skills. Despite us speaking our dialect or mother tongue in front of her, she still managed to acquire English as her first language. We were astounded with her abilities, we were very proud of her. Although, there was one thing we noticed. She was too small for her age.
Everything was fine up until now, her only visits to the hospital were her monthly check-ups with her Pedia doctor, her asthma diagnosis, and some Vaccinations. We did notice that she frequently had coughs, colds, and fever. It was so often that we were alarmed that she may have a condition.
By the end of 2018, we noticed drastic weight loss, by drastic I mean MASSIVE weight loss from 36kg to 22kg in ONE month. We decided to schedule a check up the next weekend.
Her pedia doctor decided to admit Esha in the hospital so that further examinations and analysis may be done so that a clear diagnosis can be found.
Once they finished extracting blood for further testing, we were surprised to see that her Hemoglobin level was 21mg/dl, the normal rate being above 100mg/dl, she was referred to a Hematologist for further diagnosis.
The doctor decided to do blood transfusion on Moesha so that her hemoglobin levels may rise back up. Everything was going smoothly, it was all okay, until Esha's blood pressure spiked to 140/90. The nurses were surprised, so they immediately stopped the blood transfusion and waited for a few hours before Esha's BP normalized again.
When her BP went back to 100/60, the nurses returned the procedure, only for her BP to spike to 140/90 again. The doctor decided to do a urine analysis.
After getting the results, the doctor was surprised with the news, and immediately told my sister, (Esha's mom), to sign a waver to let another doctor handle Esha, this time being a Pediatric Nephrologist.
When she came to us, she had a concerned look on her face. She was trying to emotionally prepare us for the news that we were about to receive. She dropped the bomb on us and told us that Moesha can only be cured through Kidney Transplant or Peritoneal Dialysis, a procedure where in the Dialysis solution will go through a tube. A catheter will be placed inside her peritoneum, and an exchange will happen. This was required for Esha was diagnosed with Stage 5, or End Stage Renal Failure. Better known as CKD, or Chronic Kidney Disease. Moesha's Creatinine level was 18mg/dl, the normal rate being 0.01-1mg/dl.
The news was too much for us to bear, my sister immediately signing a waver for discharge against medical advice. The news was too much to handle. It made all of our hearts heavy, yet there Esha was, understanding everything slowly. Esha even told us to stop crying, and that everything was going to be okay, but she wasn't aware of her diagnosis yet.
On February 19, 2019, Esha had breathing difficulties, thus she was sent to the hospital immediately. This was the time where in my sister decided to accept fate and told the doctors that she will sign the waver to undergo with the procedure of inserting a catheter inside her.
On February 23, 2019, the procedure was done, and Peritoneal Dialysis started. During these times, Esha was at her strongest. She was hyper, active, and very fun to play with. She pretty much accepted the whole thing, with so much food being restricted by her dietician, she found happiness in other things instead like playing and spending time with her older sister. Esha stopped schooling as well ever since she received the diagnosis. Things were going fine, it was all okay. Esha had to go to the hospital once for blood transfusions but that was it. She was discharged a few days after.
What changed and made everything more difficult was on July 2, 2019. For the first time, Esha's blood pressure reached 170/110, having her very first seizure. She was immediately sent to the Emergency room and was different medicines were injected in her body just to calm her down.
She was referred to a Neurologist. She also had a CT Scan. The doctor's findings was that Esha gets focal seizures due to her abnormally high blood pressure. She was given medication like Phenobarbital 60mg twice a day, and Valproic Acid 5ml twice a day. Clonidine 75mg, Captopril 25mg, and Propranolol 10mg were the hypertensives added to her medication list as well, aside from Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Calcitriol, Amlodipine, Furosemide, and Ferrous Sulfate.
After her discharge, she went back to the hospital again during July 22, 2019 because her PD was faulty. Infusion was succsssful but draining was lacking.
So on July 23, 2019, 5 months after her first procedure, she had her second surgery of catheter repositioning during 10 PM. The surgeon found a lot of omentum blocking the catheter, therefore cutting it.
On early July 24, 2019, around 3 AM, Esha was noticed to be staring blankly at the wall. We were worried as to what was happening to her, then out of no where, she suddenly had a seizure attack. For the first time, her BP shot up all the way to 200/140. In less than 24 hours, Moesha had about TWENTY-THREE seizures.
This was where everything went downhill for Esha. Ever since that date up until now, Esha always gets admitted for her BP that's always 200/140, her highest spike being 240/170.
We have already planned everything, Moesha, we will be bringing her to The National Kidney Transplant Institute in Manila because we are here in Bacolod City, Negros Occidental. But there is one problem that we are currently facing. Esha's physician will not allow to give us a travel certificate to be able to bring Esha to Manila. Esha cannot ride a plane due to her high BP, and we're not sure either about a Ship. There is one option though, which is an air ambulance, but it costs roughly around 13,000 dollars. Esha's dad is currently finding another option, but for the mean time, Esha is in Bacolod right now. We are having a hard time controlling Esha's BP, but we are waiting for a miracle to happen. For us to find a way to bring her to Manila where she can finally be cured.
My niece has suffered so much already, with about 9-10 admissions and 2 surgeries in the span of 11 months. With so much medications per day, dialysis every 6 hours, and medical procedures every admission, we are straining heavily on finances. Esha's dad having to loan every now and then.
But despite all this, Esha never fails to smile every single day and continue to fight.
As Moesha takes on another Chapter of her life, another chance to find a way to recover herself and finally get the treatment she deserves, we are here once again to ask for your help. Any amount will do, every donation counts. Any form of help is more than welcome. All for the wellbeing of my niece.
Once again, I would like to thank you all so much for clicking this campaign. May those who give their blessings receive our endless gratitude and thanks. Good day and God Bless you All!
-Esha's medical abstract for her first admission.
-Esha during her active phase after her first surgery when PD had started.
-Esha preparing for her second surgery.
-Esha after her second surgery, during her 7th seizure.
-Esha during one of her seizure episodes, the nurse inserting a suction tube inside her mouth.