70% of the children in the rural villages in Northern-Ghana never make it to Senior High school or university. Lack of motivation and encouragement makes them drop out of school easily. When school fees cannot be paid they stop developing. They are confirmed that selling on the streets in down-south Accra is their only option. That thinking comes from a lack of confidence to start something and a believe that they will not make it.
ABOUT THE MENTOR ME PROJECT
The Mentor Me Project is is a follow-up on the positive experiences of the team during the first edition of the project Talented You which was a pilot project where, 10 schools and a number of 2000 children between the ages of 10 to 16 years were trained and equip with Entrepreneurship and practical skills in bead making, Creative arts, and leadership development. The outcome and deliverables for this second edition in 2018 are based on the experience of the pilot project.
The Mentor Me project will provide young people with a chance to learn Practical Skills in Bead making, Soap making, Dress making, Confidence Building, Leadership and Social media Marketing Skills
10000 children - in the age category of 10 to 16Years - in 50 schools in deprived rural communities in Ghana will receive a one week training and Mentoring in talent and practical skills development.
Objectives of the training program:
Goals & Objectives
1. To enhance Creativity and Entrepreneurship development among unemployed youth, especially in the rural North of Ghana
2. To create an enabling environment for young people where they are empowered to grow their knowledge and skills which they need to become successful (social) entrepreneurs.
3. To engage youth to take on leadership roles in organizing community based activities that promote positive lifestyles and care for the environment.
4. The program will contribute to the reduction of unemployment and poverty as well improvement of social inclusion in rural areas
5. Students receive support in coming to terms with and rising above, difficult circumstances and situations
6. The Program will help the students to develop and increase their self Confidence
7. To reach out to 10,000 young rural children with practical Entrepreneurship Skills in 50 schools
A safe space of positive energy, fun and play is provided with the aim to encourage every child to share and express themselves openly. The children are activated and challenged through a combination of:
- Inspiration via role models
The team presents on the diverse topics and shares their individual experiences by interacting with the students.
- Practical exercises that encourage to be active, take initiative and develop skills
- One-on-one counselling
Children are invited to approach the team for one-on-one sharing of their challenges
- Involvement of teachers
Interaction with teachers to ascertain how they can continue the activities in their schools.
- The students are put into groups to work together and develop their own small projects beyond the training.
- The students are taken through the Basics of Bead Making, Soap making and dress making
Recommendations are shared with school authorities, Donors and all stake holders with the aim to create awareness and to encourage them to give more attention to discovering and developing the talent and future potential of children.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION (ME FOR AFRICA)
Me For Africa is a non-profit organization registered and operating in the Republic of Ghana with Registration number CG098312017, pursuant to section 24 of the companies act, 1963, (Act 179), with a mission to foster and promote: Environmental Protection, Entrepreneurship, Health, Education and ICT (Information Communication Technology) Development in Ghana and Africa as a whole. We currently have projects in Tree planting, ICT and Entrepreneurship Development Training for Rural women and kids in Junior High Schools. You can become a member of our organization
We need materials and resources to help us reach out to more students, you can help by donating a dollar or two to help these rural students. You can also join our team today to help make a difference
“We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” ―Winston S. Churchill