Medical fees for senior dogs with cancer and kidney disease

Update posted by Hazel Hong On Oct 14, 2021

Thank you to everyone who has sent us their support and messages of encouragement. We've definitely been keeping track of everyone who has sent us funds so that we can personally thank you once we have the time!



Of course, please don't feel obliged to send us anything, just sharing the link amongst your circle of friends already means so much to us. If you do know of anyone in the same situation, please feel free to send them our way and we'll try our best to support them too.

Short link to our campaign: https://goget.fund/3FCsbyc





Add a Comment

Update posted by Hazel Hong On Oct 13, 2021

Quote for Tarou's amputation + CT scan of his lungs

Add a Comment

Update posted by Hazel Hong On Oct 12, 2021

To be as transparent as possible, we have compiled all our medical expenses since 12 September. This is not including transportation and regular medication fees. We calculated this starting from first vet appointment for both dogs where were discovered their issues.




Add a Comment

Update posted by Hazel Hong On Oct 11, 2021

7 Sep: We had a doggy physiotherapist come over to work on Ichigo and she discovered that Tarou's right elbow was way bigger than the other while doing a quick check on him.


12 Sep: We did an x-ray on his front leg to see if it was osteosarcoma. We didn't find anything but we noticed pockets on the x-rays in the swollen part of his limb. He was placed on anti-inflammatory medication for 4 days to see if the swelling would go down.


17 Sep: The swelling around his elbow got slightly bigger, we went ahead and did a Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) to check for cancer. Though, we all highly suspect it to be cancer just based on the look and feel. The results came back the next day highly suspicious of cancer. We will have to do a biopsy to confirm and identify what type of cancer we're dealing with.


5 Oct: We visited a specialist at Beecroft who could do the amputation, he determined that Tarou should still be fit to walk on 3 legs. But we'd have to do a few tests to check if the cancer has spread to his lungs and internal organs first.


7 Oct: We went down to Dr Ly for a third opinion. He recommended not going with amputation due to his age and immediately called for a punch biopsy. Tarou was prescribed 3 immune boosting supplements.


8 Oct: We did a last-minute abdominal ultrasound at Hillside Vet as I wanted to have the results just in time for his scheduled bloodwork and chest x-ray on 10 Oct.


10 Oct: His leg has swelled up a little more when I felt it in the morning. He has been sleeping a lot more these days and pants very easily. He's still very food motivated and will beg anyone who he thinks has treats for him. We did a chest X-ray and full blood panel. The results were normal but indicated a mild infection. His abdominal ultrasound report came back in the afternoon, his lungs look fine but his spleen looks slightly abnormal, it could be early signs of cancer or just inflammation.


13 Oct: Tarou is still his usual self the past few days, AKA will work for food and will steal food if you're not paying attention. His lower leg, which suddenly swelled up last Friday (8 Oct), is now back to its usual size. The swelling was most probably due to inflammation from the punch biopsy we did on Thursday and not the spread of the cancerous lump. He's still able to walk well apart from the occasional tripping and imbalance.

We have decided to proceed with the amputation for Tarou. It will most likely occur next week. I've just received an estimated quote for the procedure and it adds up to a whopping $6000+. We also requested a estimate to do a CT scan for his chest, which we were thinking of doing before proceeding with the amputation. This will give us a better idea of whether or not cancer has spread to his lungs, and whether or not we should proceed with the amputation. Till then, we will be closely monitoring his lumps and also waiting for his biopsy results which will hopefully return by this week.

Add a Comment

Update posted by Hazel Hong On Oct 11, 2021

12 Sep: We brought him for a routine senior checkup. Results showed that his SDMA level was on the high side (11, with normal range being between 0 - 14) but still within normal range. We did a urinalysis on the spot which came back slightly diluted. We were told to bring him back in a months time to re-check his levels.


16 Sep: He started vomiting the night before and wouldn't stop even after there was no more food left in his system. We brought him to the vet the next day where he did an x-ray and SNAP test. X-ray showed gastrointestinal inflammation and the SNAP came back was abnormal which indicates presence of pancreatitis. He was then put on Hills i/d diet and recovered his appetite soon after. That episode did leave him pickier with his food but everything else was normal.


3 Oct: We went back to re-check his SDMA and urinalysis tests. SDMA came back 18, which was not good, and urinalysis showed that his urine wasn't very concentrated. We were told to up his water intake to at least 650ml/day.


9 Oct: Ichigo refused food for almost the whole day, I only managed to hand feed him in the morning after much coaxing. He was still drinking a healthy amount of water. I found green, smelly, mucus in his nose and it leaked out the whole night.


10 Oct: We ruled out Pneumonia and Leptospirosis for his runny nose issue, it might be a respiratory infection. Blood test showed elevated levels of CREA and BUN, his urinalysis results were also not good. He had to be hospitalised and also have an abdominal ultrasound and sterile urine extracted. He was brought over to VES where he'd be put on fluids and nausea and pain medication. The vet commented that he's still looking pretty miserable.


11 Oct: I got a call this morning, it's not good. He's still looking pretty sad and refusing to eat. We may have to put an esophageal feeding tube through his neck if this continues on. Ultrasound scans revealed that his kidneys are still ok, but his pancreas is inflamed and he has gallbladder mucocele.


13 Oct: Ichigo had to be hospitalised on Sunday (10 Oct) after we brought him to our primary vet as he had green nasal discharge. We did a follow-up blood test and found that his kidney levels were deteriorating. We immediately performed a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia, as well as a leptospirosis test. He did well for both tests but still had to be hospitalised as he did not want to eat. Ultrasound scans at VES showed that he had pancreatitis, that there was something going on with one of his kidneys, and also that he was starting to show early signs of gallbladder mucocele.

On Monday morning (10 Oct), they called in to update his situation. He had not eaten at all since the day before and was just generally sad the entire time he was there, no amount of head pats from the vets and vet techs could cheer him up. We had to consider doing a procedure to insert a permanent feeding tube through his neck into his stomach through his oesophagus. I told them to hold that off until we visited him in the evening.

We arrived at VES at 5 pm, he looked so sad when he first came out but his mood did seem to improve gradually. After 20mins, he seemed a lot more alert and interested in his surroundings. Doc then gave us the green light to discharge him and try to see if he'd feel more comfortable eating at home instead. We were so glad that he went straight for his water bowl and scarfed down quite a bit of food once we got home.

He's now more or less back to normal, though he seems a little more tired than before. I'm sure the hospitalisation and pain took quite a bit out of him. He's still eating well but we will have to give him at least 650ml of water every day, which we split over 6 feeds. Our only issue is that he will have to take more pee breaks, he doesn't want to do it at home, I'm not sure if we'll be able to eventually re-train him for that.

We will have to bring him back to check his levels in a week's time. Hoping that his condition would have stabilised by then.

Add a Comment

photo

Ivy Kong

Backed with $20.00 On Oct 20, 2021

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Oct 18, 2021 Amount Hidden

photo

Priscilia Oh

Backed with $10.00 On Oct 17, 2021

photo

Jason Ng

Backed On Oct 17, 2021 Amount Hidden

photo

Hope you manage to raise the funds you need soon. If each person that sees this donates the minimum $1, the $10 000 will be raised very quickly 🙏

Anonymous

Backed On Oct 16, 2021 Amount Hidden

photo

All the best

Wendolyn Teo

Backed with $50.00 On Oct 15, 2021

photo

Juscinta

Backed with $50.00 On Oct 14, 2021

photo

Guest

Backed with $20.00 On Oct 14, 2021

photo

Wish them all the best

Elizabeth Chia

Backed On Oct 14, 2021 Amount Hidden

photo

Anonymous

Backed On Oct 14, 2021 Amount Hidden

Show more donors
Add a Comment

photo

Hazel Hong

Campaign Owner

flag Singapore, sg

Send a message

photo

Ivy Kong

Since Oct 20, 2021

photo

Joanne Lee

Since Oct 14, 2021

photo

Josephine Lim

Since Oct 13, 2021

photo

Xue Ming Loy

Since Oct 12, 2021

photo

Bing Hui Oh

Since Oct 12, 2021

photo

Kai Pang

Since Oct 11, 2021

photo

Kristen Png

Since Oct 11, 2021

Create support campaign

Not Ready to Donate?

Did you know a 10 second Facebook share raises an average of $25?

Share on