MCtionary is a free wiki software that was just recently patented in my name as the first of its kind! It redefines the conventional concept of dictionaries of every kind, as well as that of media-players! It combines three of the most powerful and most necessary concepts in the history of humankind: Education, Entertainment, and the concept of "Wiki" (i.e. constructive collaborative global online cooperation)! Yes! I have called it: Wiki Edutaintment!
Briefly, MCtionary is:
- the most powerful and most uniquely revolutionary multimedia player
- the most powerful and most uniquely revolutionary dictionary
- the simplest, most user-friendly, most intuitive wiki platform
All in one!
Here are more in-depth details:
MCtionary stands for:
Media-playing Context-based Dictionary = M + C + tionary
MCtionary's slogan is: "One word... one meaning". And just as its slogan implies, it does NOT confuse you by giving you all the possible meanings of a certain word! Instead, it gives you one and only one meaning; which is the exact one that you want!
Surprisingly, MCtionary is a multimedia player at the same time, but is not an ordinary one! With MCtionary, you not only get to view subtitles for your movies or songs, etc. but you also have the ability and freedom of interacting with each and every phrase, word or even letter within the subtitle while your video is playing!
While playing your video, and once you move the cursor onto any part of the subtitle, the video pauses, and a pop-up window appears giving you the following powerful and revolutionary options never given or experienced by any other media player, dictionary, website, or any other software before:
* You can add the one -and only one- meaning YOU think is the correct one depending on the respective context!
* You can add any grammar-related information (for example: "This word here is a noun not an adjective" or "This word is mistakenly widely used as an adverb instead of a verb.. even by native speakers", etc.).
* You can vote on any previously added piece of information that was added/edited by other users
* You can add a note, a miscellaneous one, such as: "This phrase is differently used where I live in the city of Toronto in Canada. It's used to put more emphasis on..." or "In this scene, Jane used the word (heart) in the metaphoric sense!", etc.
* You can upload your personal views and opinions within comments on the entire video -just like in Youtube. Also, you can mark a specific scene within the video you're watching so that you can comment on it instead of commenting on the video as a whole. An even bigger surprising feature is "Snapshot Commenting" where everyone is able to comment on a specific snapshot!
* You can reply to any kind of comment or note (mentioned above) uploaded by others
* You –and just like with any other dictionaries- can use the search feature within MCtionary to look up the different and all possible meanings for a certain word, phrase, or even a letter. However, the looked-up word is will be shown to you in various useful sentences, each illustrating only one of its possible meanings at a time! Those sentences can be customized so that they are directly taken from one or more subtitle of one or more of your videos, movies, songs, etc. that were previously specified by you as you favorite ones!
* You can perform a grammar-related search. For example: You might be interested in how to use a certain word as a continuous verb not as an adjective.With this kind of advanced search, MCtionary will show you various sentences from subtitles of one or more of your videos, movies, songs, etc. that were previously specified by you as you favorite ones!