Mark Angeles was a beautiful person who had a profound impact on the Reed community and beyond. Even if you didn’t know him directly, you knew his infectious smile. You knew his bikes. You knew that he was in our community, spreading his love of life and cycling. Mark was taken from us too soon, but his impact on his loved ones and his community will not be forgotten. We established this campaign in coordination with the Angeles family and the college for collecting funds to honor Mark’s legacy.
In accordance with the Angeles family’s wishes, all proceeds will go back to bettering the school in Mark’s honor. Some ideas we have put forth for allocating the money, along with associated prices, are below. The school and family are currently working to make this campaign a 501(c)3 charity so any donations you make should be fully tax deductible.
Where will the funds go?
Depending on how much we raise, we are considering a variety of good causes we believe would best serve Mark’s memory. If we raise enough funding, we could fulfill all these goals.
- A plaque/sign in the Bike Co-op. Mark put his heart and soul into reinvigorating the Co-op during his time at Reed. Under his leadership, it went from a half-stocked tool closet to a well-oiled shop over the course of four years. While there may be issues with re-dedicating the co-op after a single person, if there ever was someone who it would be worth doing so for, it’s Mark.
- Cost: TBD, depending on sourcing, design and materials
- New tool(s) for the Co-Op. We are in communication with the current and past Co-Op signators about what would best serve the Co-Op but for the time being, we are setting our sites on a professional-grade wheel building kit, stocked with supplies at the very least. We’ve also floated the idea of a new professional-grade work stand.
- Wheel building kit: stand ($250), dish stick ($55), spoke tension meter ($75), supplies (~$100)
- $250-$450 depending on model selected
- Bike rack.
- Varies depending on model. Could just be standard rack but perhaps could be a more custom design—would need to confer with and receive approval from grounds committee.
- Mark Angeles Memorial Fund & Internship: Helping people was one of Mark’s greatest passions. Mark was not only an active part of the Bike Co-Op and SEEDS at Reed, but he also volunteered at the Community Cycling Center and ran a PE class that got Reedies out into the community. Any funds raised beyond what's needed for the plaque and upgrades described above will be donated to the Mark Angeles Memorial Fund, which will subsidize a student intern position at the SEEDS office oriented towards cycling, justice, and community engagement. If we are able to raise $20,000 total, that will be enough to make this an endowed position (i.e. where the interest revenue is what funds the internship) that can serve the community for decades to come. Please help us pay tribute to Mark in a way that will change Reedies lives for generations to come!
We chose to go the crowdfunding route because people like to feel they are part of something bigger. Seeing how much others have contributed in Mark’s memory will hopefully lead more people to do the same. While this platform does charge a fee of 4% off the top (the cheapest major service), our hope is that the larger amount of people that we’re able to reach using this platform will exceed the cost of the service.
What if I want all my money to go to the fund?
If you would prefer that 100% of your donation go towards the memorial fund, please send money using PayPal directly to: [email protected] then send an email to [email protected] telling us that you made this donation so we can manually enter it into the running total (we will not display the amount that you donated unless you request this). It's a bit more work, but every penny will go towards serving the community in Mark’s memory. Make sure you send it as "friends and family" and not as payment for "goods and services"—otherwise PayPal will take a percentage.