The IdeaAnimals are amazing! Children are spectacular! Bring the two together and you have... amazingly spectacular!
The ProblemChildren are our future! They are, who will grow up to be an adult, run companies, have kids of their own, contribute to society... or maybe they won’t contribute to society (the problem).
Another ProblemAnimals all too often are abused, neglected, and unloved.
The SolutionLet’s help our children to live happy and healthy lifestyles... to grow up... figure out their identity early... create enthusiasm, care, understanding, and compassion. We can do this, by bringing children (and families) together with animals, and at the same time, rescue animals from the abuse, neglect, and abandonment they’ve experienced and more to come will, unfortunately experience.
Some ExamplesFor one 7-year old girl with autism, Caroline, a trip to the dentist is a traumatic event. Tippy, a therapy dog, was invited to come along. The result? It worked. "Caroline willingly walked Tippy into the waiting room and then the exam room," Rossi says. "Tippy lay with her on the chair throughout the exam. Although Caroline was still anxious, she did it!" (Arky, 2013)
"Horses also play a key role in this movement. Hippotherapy, derived from the Greek word "hippos" for "horse," is a treatment strategy used by physical, occupational, and speech and language therapists in a one-to-one treatment session. It may be used to help those from as young as 18 months to adults with developmental delays, brain injuries, learning disabilities, sensory issues, autism and other challenges. " (Arky, 2013)
"A sense of mastery is also very valuable to kids with diagnoses such as reactive attachment disorder, bipolar, cognitive learning disorders, and autism, says Michael Kaufmann, director of farm and wildlife at Green Chimneys, a therapeutic day school and residential treatment center in Putnam County, New York. "It feels awesome when a horse starts listening to you," he notes. "A 1,500 pound horse is actually going where you want it to go, you can tell your parents, and most of your friends haven’t done it."" (Arky, 2013)
A child that is kind and respectful to animals are more likely to grow up to be kind and respectful to others and in general, live happier, healthier lifestyles. Plus... they’ll have fun in the process.
The PlanWe want to buy a big piece of property, a few have already been considered in Osteen and Paisley, Florida with fair down payments. Most of our animals will have been rescued from hazardous situations, while a few will be trained and certified upon acquiring. We will host regular day camps and camps for each of the four seasons. Activities will be provided for the children and animals. A program is in development, where children will be able to bring their own pet during their stay.
The SurvivalAs with everything else in this world, it costs money to run a business, whether not-for-profit or otherwise. Our goal is to minimize expenses with no paid employees... everyone will be volunteers - and that list already exists with over 100 people willing to help. Since most activities will be outside (weather permitting), there will be less expenses relating to a structure (electricity, etc.). Our funds will come from donations and fund raising events. It is estimated, that 80% of all funds received will be able to go directly to the cause (activities for the children and animals, etc.), the other 20% will be for operating expenses (care of the animals such as food, grooming, etc., rent of property, etc.)
This FundraisingOur goal of $50,000 will be enough for our initial property cost, initial set up and animals, first two months of operation with camps and programs, and our first onsite fundraiser, where everyone will be invited for free games, activities, food, and to meet our animals.
ReferencesArky, B. (2013, January 15). Animals Help Children Overcome Challenges. Retrieved May 16, 2015, from http://www.childmind.org/en/posts/articles/animals-help-children-dogs-and-therapy