You read that right. I'm a 13 year old kid, an eighth grader from Ohio, and I want an extra month of school this summer. And while it may sound crazy, I know this month of school will change my whole outlook on the world and my place in it.
Why? Because the school I want to study at is the University of Cambridge in Cambridge, England!
I received a partial scholarship - the Exceptional Merit Scholarship - for the Cambridge Prep program as a part of the Oxbridge Academic Program. If I raise enough funds, I get to spend an entire month studying with some of the top professors in their field learning more about Cosmology, the study of space and my major for the month, and Espionage (my minor).
I also get to work with students from all over the world and experience the culture and history of England and University of Cambridge.
It's an awesome opportunity for a kid from Ohio who has never been on a plane to "hop across the pond" and study abroad. It's also pretty scary, but I am ready for it.
WHY AM I A GOOD INVESTMENT?
2016/2017 American Math Contest First Place Winner
(It's hard to talk about yourself and not sound like your bragging.)
1/ I'm a hard-working, active student.
- I am an A student who has tested gifted in the areas of Math, Reading and Super Cognitive.
- The Oxbridge Program believes in me enough to invest $2,995 through the Exceptional Merit Scholarship they awarded to me along with my acceptance to the program. Scholarships are awarded to only 10 - 15 percent of students who apply from around the world.
- I am an 2017 Olive Tree Foundation scholarship recipient.
- I was chosen as a 2016 & 2017 gifted and talented summer institute participant for Ohio Wesleyan University Junior League.
- I was accepted into the 2017 Humanities and Cognitive Sciences High School Summer Institute by The Ohio State University on full scholarship.
- I am a 2017 Founders Scholarship finalist for Columbus School for Girls.
- I was Seventh Grade Class President, Sixth Grade Sports & Activities Representative.
- I placed 1st in the 2016 American Math Contest.
- I actually want to be in school this summer. That's got to make you want to smile and help.
This summer in Cambridge I will study Cosmology, to learn more about the stars and the universe. I am also studying neuroscience, cognitive science, and basic research at The Ohio State University after Cambridge.
We all know it's important for girls especially in middle school and high school to stay encouraged and interested in STEM, your investment puts that knowledge into action.
3/ I care about my community. What I learn at Cambridge I will be able to put into use in my community. Whether it's talking to other kids about my experience or encouraging them to stick with STEM subjects or in the various volunteering I do throughout the year including
- Volunteering with third graders at my former public school during Spring Break
- Acting as a Role Model Magazine ambassador and volunteer
HOW CAN I HELP OUTSIDE OF DONATING?
- Share the campaign on social media. Email the link to people and businesses who support educational causes.
- If you are a business you can sponsor me, set out a donation jar at your business, name a product #LivtoCambridge, even give products to be used as rewards for donating.
- If you are a local business (Central Ohio area) let me use your parking lot for a car wash!
- Download and print out campaign flyers here. Put them up at coffee houses, churches, community boards and anywhere else you think it will help. (Don't litter.)
Thanks so much for your help!