Earlier today, I saw this cat crawling around on the ground listlessly. It's like it couldn't control it's movements. Or it's like it couldn't see. It was like it was looking for something. Then, I saw the blood on its paws and the bloated face. It was heartbreaking to watch. I just stopped and stared. It got partially run over by a vehicle though I did not see it happen. It was apparent by the wounds and the sheer pain in the cat's body. There was another man who felt bad too. He got an empty cardboard box from a nearby convenience store. He also gave his eco bag as cushioning. He gave 450 pesos as contribution for the vet fees.
The cat was placed in the box and I could see the blood smearing all over the inside. Then, I got on a jeep to the nearest vet clinic I knew, CVD in Ramos. The cat was rushed to emergency. There was a consumable deposit fee of 3,000 pesos, which I assumed included everything the cat would need like vitamins, medicines, and other check-ups.
I saw that the cat was placed in an incubation chamber. The vet told me that it was in critical condition for 24-48 hours. There was so much swelling and bleeding around its face, they could not tell how bad it really was internally. They would need to observe the cat's condition during this critical period. I was shown the blood works and was told that it looked like it was already infected with bacteria.
If the cat survives this critical period, then the vet would like to do x-rays for further check-up. They could not do it now while it was weak. So they would have to wait. Each x-ray costs 900 pesos. Depending on how bad the condition is, it might need more than one x-ray.
I couldn't name this cat. I couldn't become attached. It's name on the receipt is No Name Yet Cat. But it's impossible to leave alone. There's something we can do to help it's fight for survival. That's why I would like to dub it as Nine. In honor of the old saying about cats having nine lives. They're survivors for a reason. Should we really just let them die on the streets when there's something we can do to help them?
I have never done this before. I never thought I would get the opportunity. Then, it just happened right before my eyes. How could I turn a blind eye to that?
Update: It is now under observation and the vet told me they would call with updates. The latest call I got was about how it's starting to nose bleed profusely. They can't do surgery because it might make it worse. But it's hard to tell how bad the internal bleeding is. I was told that before the worse came, they would suggest to put it to sleep. They will observe the cat and determine when that would be necessary.