Jeffreys Bay, South Africa
Lets Feed Jbay has been fortunate enough, thanks to all of you who have donated so far, to have already made a huge impact on our community.
In the face of this pandemic and seeing the long term effect it will have on the whole world including out magical town, LFJ has started shifting focus to long term feeding programs which starting immediately will be bringing employment, education and self sustaining food to our communities which will provide nutritional produce to them and their families despite financial difficulties.
Now more then ever we need your help as there is a greater cost involved but also a much more intelligent and long-term goal which you are supporting to keep our community functional and peaceful and with more support who knows reach further, be it direct or indirect.
Thank you for all that you have done, do, and continue to do.
Please read below for our previous and still ongoing mission plan:
Home to some and surfing paradise to many.
Our town is usually filled with good vibes, happy faces and one of the worlds best waves. Jbay is decorated by small family businesses and local workers who lend a hand is preserving our small slice of heaven.
Unfortunately, the current lockdown in South Africa has forced all non-essential businesses into closure and left thousands of wage earning employees in Jbay without any income.
Majority of these wage earners live on the poverty line and survive by getting food to mouth on a day-to-day basis. Many of these individuals live in single-room shacks made from scrap metal, old wooden planks and old sign boards with no running water or toilets and housing about 4-6 people. They are out of work and immediately out of money and this keeps food out of their mouthes. Having visited the township (informal settlement) today (14 April 2020) and seen first hand how some families have committed to eating only every second or third day in order to survive. When the meal comes it consists mainly of a fist size portion of simple starch.
This is sadly a reality for most of our country’s population. As epic as Jbay is, it is still Africa and this is the reality of African life.
We are a group of born and raised local Jbay boys who do not want our community to go hungry during this time. So we decided to see if Jbay and the rest of the world can help us do something about it.
Please help us raise money that can go towards purchasing food and distributing it to those most in need.
After great discussion with local community leaders, government, law enforcement and other local charitable organisations we have decided on the following course of action:
1. Food will be donated to individuals living in the township who do not currently have neither food nor money/income and possess no employment nor does anyone in their immediate household.
2. Local government and community leaders have combed through the township to discover individuals who are in need, matching the above criteria their address and contact numbers.
2. Basic food supplies will purchased from local stores only and distributed to the individuals in need in the form of weekly drops per area of the township. Each household will receive a 7 day emergency food supply. Individuals in each ward (area) in the township will be notified of the date, time and location of collection point. Deliveries will be made to the ill, elderly and vulnerable. Smaller daily drops will be made to families with imminent concerns. The relief package costs between R200 and R400 per family per week, depending on the size of the household.
3. Local government, law enforcement and private security are on board to ensure that social distancing, fairness and safety is always maintained along every step of the way - especially when handing out the food relief parcels.
4. Food will be purchased, sorted, packaged and delivered by your truly, with the amazing help of the community. We will not delegate any of the tasks nor donate to any other charities - we will ensure that every rand donated is maximised in the right place.
5. Our goal is to keep everyone we can fed.
We can't thank our donors and local community enough for making this possible.
The local Jbay boys.
// CONTACT US AND STAY IN TOUCH WITH DAILY UPDATES //
Email: [email protected]
Cell: 0824146266 / 072 320 1270
If you are not able to donate via the payment gateway you may donate via PayPal to: [email protected]