Join me in improving the lives of the stray cats of Antiparos! World Stray Animal Day is not to be celebrated but to remind us that the animals wandering the streets need food, water and love just like any other living being!
A bit about myself
With World Stray Animals Day being today, the 4th of April, I grab the opportunity to share with you something I really care about which is … animals! As much as I would like to help them all, I have focused my attention and energy towards the stray cats and especially the ones of Antiparos, my all-time favorite place and where I spend most of my time nowadays.
For those of you who know me, you know cats is my weakness and has always been since I were little. I just can’t walk by a cat without noticing it and most probably there will be some cat treat in my handbag, just in case! I was lucky to grow up with my childhood cat, Tuff, whom I had from the age of 6 to 18. I am now sharing my home with three amazing cats that adopted me in Antiparos (Lucky Georgie and Benji) and I have the extended family of Poua, Sally, Miso, Mr Grey and the gang who come by the hotel for their daily snacks and cuddles.
I would love to see fewer stray cats suffer and more having loving homes.
How you can help!
I am now asking you to be a part of this journey of mine which brings me so much joy and hope I can pass some on to you! The money raised will go to Cats of Antiparos and will cover the costs for two new traps to make it easier to catch wild cats, medicine and vet expenses to treat incidents of sick stray cats, vet expenses for preparing a cat for adoption (passports, rabies injections, deworming, transportation box) and special food for sick cats and kittens.
I would like to thank anyone contributing to my cause and offer some small thank you gifts:
15€ donations - get a digital personalized thank you card to your inbox with an Antiparos kitty.
20€ donations - get a postcard from Antiparos straight to your mailbox.
> 30€ donations - get a Cats of Antiparos cotton tote bag.
Other very meaningful ways to help are the following:
- Put out a bowl of food and water for a stray in your neighborhood.
- Share Cats of Antiparos posts of cats in need of a home. You can also check the adoption website: https://troyhindley.wixsite.com/greekcats4adoption
- Let me know if there is any cool group on Facebook or elsewhere where they might be looking to adopt a Greek cat. Also you maybe you know of a welfare that would like to cooperate!
- Stop or report if you witness animal cruelty.
Of course, the ultimate would be to adopt a stray! You cannot imagine the love and laughs you will get by having a loving furrball at home :D
If you have trouble donating online you can also donate straight to my PayPal account: [email protected] or to my bank account:
Account holder: Stavrinidi Iliada
Every donation will go to improve the wellbeing of the strays and any amount will make a difference!
Cats of Antiparos
I am happy to have found some more like-minded wonderful people and we have together started the non profit organization Cats of Antiparos which is now in the final stages of becoming official. In the meantime we are all working hard to improve the lives of the stray cats of Antiparos and trying to find homes for those who need it the most.
Some of the actions through which we are doing are:
* Putting great emphasis on neutering as many cats as possible. We believe neutering of the stray cats is the most important step to improve their lives (less fighting and sicknesses) and to monitor the population. This winter we have been working closely with the Municipality and AWA in their neutering program and have been there to catch cats and assist the vets.
* Daily hand feeding covering many of the colonies. Especially in the wintertime when the restaurants are closed and there are less people on the island this is very important to the wellbeing of the strays.
* Caring of sick cats by taking them to the vet in Paros, treating them with the necessary medicines and offering a foster home when necessary until they recover.
* Finding forever homes to stray cats within Greece and abroad.
You can read more about Cats of Antiparos here: https://catsofantiparos.com/
Only since this summer, despite the difficulty of travelling due to Covid, we have found homes to 14 cats. Finding a forever home and getting the cat there is a process with many steps and people involved. It is also tricky with all the paperwork, passports, vet visits, escorts, foster homes and so many other small pieces that put the puzzle together. But the excitement of the families receiving their new member and seeing how the cats love their new life is so rewarding.
Of course, there are many cats that will remain strays and it is our mission to offer them a better life with food and fresh water on a daily basis, a shelter for when it is cold and cuddles to those who want.