If you've ever been to Greece, you know there's no shortage of cats here.
The stray population is out of control and – while many are lucky enough to be fed by the community and manage to scrape by – the vast majority of them endure a life of hardship, hunger, fights, disease and danger.
My name's Martina, and I am slow-traveling across Greece on a van with my cat Simba (and partner Fil 😁).
We are currently in Leonidio, an isolated location very popular with rock climbers.
Here, cats are EVERYWHERE. Many of them look dirty and bear the signs of fight.
The smallest ones are skin and bones, dirty and ill. They eat out of trash bins or beg for food.
When we feed them, the strongest ones prevail. And there is simply not enough food for all of them.
How you can help:
While we are here for the next few months, we want to help the local organisation.
The local dog and cat rescue association is a one-woman show, and they merely rely on the help of friends. They lack funds, infrastructure and gear.
With your donations, we will:
• Spay & neuter one of the colonies (15 strays) to keep the feral population under control and prevent further hunger, disease and suffering
• Medically treat the 15 strays with antibiotics and dewormers, to stop their infections and put them out of pain
• Vaccinate the 15 strays against contagious and lethal diseases, that can be spread over to other cats and animals
• Buy trap cages and the necessary gear to catch and transport the cats to the vet
• Find a location where cats can be kept prior to and after surgery, and the tiny ones can be fostered
• Cover other vet and medical bills.
Cats, humans and local wildlife will be forever grateful 🐾
To help us out, click on the Donate button Now 👇🏻😸