US$15.00raised of $97,534.00 goal goal
No more donations are being accepted at this time. Please contact the campaign owner if you would like to discuss further funding opportunities
Help us construct a school at Umudiopara Umanukanu community,Ehime Mbano L.G.A Imo State in Nigeria.
Context and Justification of the project.
Although primary education is officially free and compulsory in Nigeria, this country still finds itself at the top of an unenviable ranking: it has the lowest enrollment rate on the planet. Indeed, despite being the first continental economy, this sub-Saharan African state struggles to adequately finance its education system, whose infrastructure is overloaded, dilapidated and poorly equipped.
In addition to this deficient investment, there is marked poverty among the population, unqualified teachers as well as strong regional tensions, a mixture that endangers Nigeria's ability to improve the sociology-economic conditions of its future generations.
One in five out-of-school children in the world are found in Nigeria. While the current government attributes this to cultural differences within the country, critics agree that insufficient investment in education is at the root of this situation. As such, in 2018, the envelope allocated by the Nigerian government to this sector amounted to 7% of the overall budget. An amount far too insufficient according to the agenda of the World Education Forum of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), which recommended, in 2015, that developing countries development allocate 15% to 20% of their public spending to education.
This deficit results in a glaring lack of school facilities. While in the south of the country infrastructure is precarious, in the north it is simply insufficient to meet demand. Thus, the teacher-pupil ratios targeted in the national education policy are largely exceeded. It is also not uncommon to see a single teacher teaching a doubled or even tripled class.
This project consists of constructing a school building in Umodiopara in Imo State. This building is made up of two levels: the ground floor and the first level.
- The ground floor is made up of three primary classes and three kindergarten classes, a nursery and a teachers' room.
- The first level is made up of three primary classes, administration offices and a canteen.
The main objective of this project is "Improving access to and learning about the environment in preschool and primary education in Umodiopara in Imo State" consists of "improving the quality of preschool and primary education in Nigeria
Specifically, it is about:
- Construct a school building to house nursery and primary education classes in Umodiopara;
- Recruiter of experienced teachers to supervise the students;
- Improve access to education for children in the project area;
- Facilitate the conditions of education for children by relieving congestion in classified classrooms;
- Improve the success rate of children in primary school in the project area;
- Create a fun space for students during extra-curricular hours.
At the end of the project implementation period:
- A modern school building housing six primary classrooms, three kindergarten classrooms and a nursery is built;
- Experienced teachers are recruited to supervise the students;
- An improvement in access to education for children is observed in the project area;
- The conditions for the education of children are facilitated thanks to the unclogging of classrooms
- A fun space for the pupils is created.
IMPACTS ON THE STATE
This project will, upon completion, present impacts on the State through the reduction of the dropout rate and will also contribute to improving the success rate of children in the project area.
In addition, the companies selected for the execution of the project will purchase the building materials in the country and the state will benefit from the taxes payable there.
The socio-economic impacts of this project are enormous:
- Increase in the school enrollment rate;
- Decreased rates of early pregnancy in adolescence;
- Reduction in the dropout rate from classes;
- Job creation for teachers and workers working during construction;
- Reduction in the rate of early marriage in the localities benefiting from the project.
Education in Africa continues to face enormous challenges such as lack of infrastructure, incompetence of teachers and especially poverty because parents prefer to bring children to work in the fields than to let them go to study.
Faced with this situation, Lema Plan International set up this project to improve the enrollment and success rate in Umudiopara in Imo State in Nigeria. This project involves the construction of a school building to facilitate access to education for more than three students.
The implemented project will cost ninety-seven thousand five hundred and seventy-two (97,572) Euros.
- Irene Lema
No updates for this campaign just yet
Donors & Comments
Create a support campaign in seconds!
Support campaigns allow you to get your own fundraising page dedicated to 'Lema Plan International'
You'll have your own unique link that you can share, and all funds raised will go directly to 'Lema Plan International'. It's the ultimate way to show your support!Create support campaign