We at Kleinskool Initiative work in Kleinskool township in Port Elizabeth (South Africa) to help educate, feed and dress the children and youth.
We run various programs:
1) Our founding member who has worked in the area for over 15 years, have identified that school shoes, correct school dress, blazers and sports gear impacts the adolescents' self-esteem, and thus their academic success, integration and general well-being.
Hence, one of our aims is to get small groups, churches, companies and individuals to 'adopt' one child every year. They will be responsible for one child's school fees, buying of school uniforms and if needed, transport fees.
We believe that educating and helping these teenagers to get into the work place will not just feed that one child, but their whole household.
2) This year, we managed to sponsor and place 7 teenagers in 'better functioning' high schools. This means that we pay approximately R2000 school fees per month from our Kleinskool Initiative account. Also, we compensate their taxi money to school, which is approximately R100 per week.
3) Our recently founded pre-primary school have twenty children who currently attend. We have a waiting list of another twenty children who will start the moment we manage to find more teachers and classrooms.
4) Additional money is spent on hiring the venue for the pre-primary school. In future, we hope to generate donations for the teachers who teach at the pre-primary school, and for the workers who keep it clean and tidy.
5) Our 'home school' program currently facilitates Mathematics and Language to 12 members of our youth over the weekends
6) Every Friday we provide 400 children who attend the community center with food. Every Wednesday, we feed another twenty children.
We aim to grow this Initiative to a place where we can establish and extend our programs in a manner that would facilitate a better future for these children and teenagers.