Hello, I'm Lorraine, and I'm reaching out to you to help me save the life of a family member.
My younger brother, Archie, was diagnosed with kidney failure or ESRD (end-stage renal disease) on his 24th birthday. When we went to the hospital on October 20th, 2017, the doctors told us that his kidneys are only 4% functional.
To stay alive, he needs a kidney transplant. If not, he has to undergo dialysis three times a week for four hours each session his entire life.
I volunteered as a donor and a sponsor for his kidney transplant. Well, I have healthy kidneys, but my funds are not enough for us to proceed with the surgery.
Both of us spent our savings on his hospital bills last year, his medicines, laboratory tests, and other expenses for the dialysis.
We're born into a low-income family. I managed to finish my studies through scholarships and the help of family and friends. It's only just recently, about three years ago, when we finally cleared all our debts. Unfortunately, we had to borrow money again for his medication. This is why I'm reaching out to all of you now to get all the help that is available to us.
UPDATE ON ARCHIE'S KIDNEY TRANSPLANT as of May 23, 2018:
Good news: It's confirmed in the tissue typing and cross-matching that I'm qualified to be his kidney donor.
Bad news: We did not qualify for PhilHealth's Z Package (government assistance of 600K pesos) because his PRA is 46% when it should be less than or equal to 20%.
To proceed with the transplant, we need to prepare at least 1.35 million pesos. That's 1.2M for the operation and 150K for the workup (all other tests he has to undergo before the transplant). The nephrologist told us we're only at Stage 2 of the workup and there are four stages. The 1.35M doesn't even include the anti-rejection drugs that might cost 30K to 80K pesos monthly. It's maintenance drugs, so he has to take them for life after the transplant.
How can you help?
I know most of you already did, and I'm super-duper grateful that I'm praying for all of you whenever I can remember, but in case you'd like to help us even more, there are several ways to do that:
• Buy Human Heart Nature products from me (It's my side business.)
• Buy my pre-loved comic books and novels (Some comics are signed by the artists! I'll be posting the list and photos within the week in my FB account.)
• Buy other stuff that I will sell soon (I have a two-week unli yoga pass here, and I will be selling eco-bags too. Please stay tuned for updates!)
• Donate via GoFundMe (yes, here!)
• Donate by sending the funds directly to my personal BPI and BDO accounts (please contact me through Facebook, Skype, or Gmail for more details)
• Pray for the healing of my younger brother and strength and wisdom for me, my mom, my older brother, our entire family while you're at it so that we can get through with this challenge as soon as possible
• If you don't pray, please wish us a lot of great luck!
• If you interact with me frequently, let's talk about fun stuff as much as possible. Smiles and laughter go a long way. ;)
Thanks for taking the time to read this long post! Here's a comic strip from Awkward Yeti to lighten up the mood:
Thank you so much for helping us find the strength during these trying times.
PS: Isulat ko ung Tagalog (TagLish) version sa susunod.