My name is Verrottica Captain Young; In March 2017, I took a vacation in Colorado that led to an incident in which Pueblo, Colorado police officers were called to the scene and used excessive force, sinister banter, and brutality to subdue me unconscious. That same night, the police arrested and charged me with alleged crimes, creating further harm at a time when they could have offered support. A year has passed since my community bailed me out, and I’m still fighting for my freedom from the charges brought against me.
My trial dates are August 26-30. I am asking for my community to support my defense and invest in my well-being. I desire to not just survive this situation, but come out on the other side held, whole, and thriving.
Direct ways to support:
- Donate Today - The criminal justice system is costly in many ways, including financially. Your donations aid towards my goal of raising $6,000 by August 15 to:
- Allow me to celebrate the freedom I do have, thanks to your support. My 33rd birthday is coming up on July 21st, and I hope to celebrate with you and mark this year with joy over pain.
- Cover cost of travel, meals, and lodging for my support team and I to attend the trial in Colorado;
- Cover the cost of body work and therapy to continue healing my body and mind following the trauma of my arrest.
- Share This Message - Take action by posting to social media and sharing a link to this page with your friends, families, and change agents in social justice communities. Your support matters.
With your actions, I’ve been able to work serving my community. I’ve been able to continue my healing process. I’ve been able to access the physical touch, embraces from my loved ones, and the acknowledgement from my community that lets me know I’m not invisible. Those of you who know the experience of incarceration know just how meaningful that is.
- Write a letter to support my defense - Letters of support and testament to my character can get years shaved off my sentence if the trial gets as far as sentencing. Your words could help make all the difference. If you’re interested in writing a character letter, please contact me at for [email protected]
- Call me, gather with me, kezep me in your prayers - While I am out on bail and my community can access me, I need to hear from you. Your presence, words, and care are what will sustain me through this trial.
What I experienced that night in March is one of the most violent, racist, and homophobic experiences I’ve survived. This case is bigger than just me, which is why I’m fighting not just to survive, but to thrive.
I’m fighting to thrive so that I can continue to be a voice for the invisible communities I serve--LGBTQ youth, foster youth, landless populations, and incarcerated populations, to name a few. I’m fighting to continue to be a healer and cultivator of wellness in my community, and live out my dreams of entrepreneurship.
I am alive. It was you, my community, who rallied around me to bring me home.
I am alive. It has been you, my community, that has kept me well as one can be in the reality I face.
We are alive. It is you, my community I am asking to preserve my visibility, integrity, and freedom by giving your continued support to me in this fundraiser to defend my future.