On behalf of Rynhardt and Roanda Munnik, parents of our little princess, Isabella Munnik
Isabella was born profoundly deaf. Through a miracle of its own, Isabella received her first cochlear implant on Tuesday 27 February of this year. The procedure was mostly covered by the medical aid leaving us with a personal payment of R74 000 which is expected to be refunded through a gap cover policy. With the assistance of medical aid administrators and her medical team her second (left ear) implant was scheduled to take place on Tuesday 13 March. But disaster struck. On the 12th of March, the medical aid, because of administration issues and regulations informed us that policy now only allows for one such procedure per year, meaning that Isabella will not be able to receive her second implant until next year. We were devastated. This will have a deeply negative impact on Isabella’s development process towards normal hearing.
Based on documents received the second cochlear implant procedure will cost R255 899, bearing in mind that the gap cover does not contribute anything unless the medical aid pays, albeit in part, for the procedure. Since we now know that the medical aid will not contribute anything for the second operation until next year, we will need to pay for this in full ourselves.
This is our plan, for which we are appealing to you for help. We need to raise the full R255 899 before the 3rd of April, which is the date set when the medical team is able to perform the procedure.
We will immediately initiate several fund raising events in order to raise the money needed.
The audio activation procedure of the first implant (performed by the audiologist) will be postponed until the second implant is completed. The reason is a financial one. It will cost double the fees to activate the implants at different times instead of at the same time. This is one of the reasons why we want the second implant to be done as soon as possible and not at a later stage.
The main reason however relates to Isabella’s development potential with both cochlear implants.
At this point, as parents of Isabella, I can do nothing more than to depend on your goodwill and your trust in my integrity. I sincerely understand that your willingness to participate is completely voluntarily without any expectations whatsoever.
Meanwhile we will continue to investigate alternative methods and sources to ensure we are able to perform this procedure on the 3rd of April.
Thank you so much for your consideration and please pass this message to a friend. Whatever the outcome, our trust remains to be in God.