Short SummaryBefore the existence of the Iqaluit Humane Society animals were destroyed in the dump. Since our creation, we have saved more than 5,000 animals from across the entire territory of Nunavut.
Raising Funds For:
- $7,000 for emergency vet bills: We have saved many animals that have been beaten, starved or injured. It is often hard to anticipate what will come across our door. We have dogs like Lupa who were beaten with a pole or Blue who was shot at close range in the leg, or cats that have eyelid issues. We have to be able to have money in the bank to help as many emergencies as we can.
- $5,000 for spay/neuter clinic: We believe prevention and education is the most important key to stopping the problem before it starts. We've seen huge success with our clinics. We want to offer the community, particularly low-income families, an opportunity to get their pets fixed ... at no cost and no questions asked, because our goal is to reduce the animal population.
- $6,000 for shelter improvements: We are improving our shelter to be able to help more animals with stainless steel indoor cages and better outdoor areas/runs that cost $4,500. This will allow our shelter dogs to be safer inside in an enclosure that is warmer and easier to clean and the outdoor runs are essential for them to get outside time in a safe way. We also would like to raise $1500 to improve our floor to make it safer. Right now, there are many holes and tiles sticking up.
In the north life can be hard for people and pets. As an organization, we want to be a community resource:
- Our shelter provides a place for animals without homes and a safe, nurturing place to surrender a pet
- Our funds raised go to the animals and we deliver what we promise to do with donations ... our spay/neuter clinics have had a measurable effect in seeing fewer unwanted puppies come through our doors, so much so that we are now able to take more pups and small dogs from other communities because we have some space for them
- Our community has become a safer place
- We are here to help! many people contact us for all kinds of reasons and we do our best every day to help them and the animals that need us
Other Ways You Can Help
Just because you can't contribute financially doesn't mean you cannot help the IHS! Simply sharing this link with your contacts and raising awareness is half of our battle being located in such a remote place. PLEASE SHARE!
- Have old items you don't want anymore? Donate them to us and we can use them in a garage sale!
- Gift Cards to buy supplies are always appreciated.
- SPREAD THE WORD! Awareness and sharing with your friends is SO important to our mission