In my country Uganda, hunger in school children has contributed to;
- The continued poor standards of living of majority of the citizens from one generation to another.
My name is Joshua Wabyona, an ordinary Ugandan citizen holding no position in the current government except the role of teaching chemistry in one school.
Owing to the low economic status of majority of Ugandan citizens, at least 70% of school children are affected by this terrible problem and this has led to devastating effects.
As a policy, from third class after kindergarten level, learners study full day. However due to the long distances that usually exists between home and school at times 5 kilometers or even longer;
- Some learners move to school with packed food which they eat after several hours when the food is very cold thus leaving them with uneasy tummies, very dizzy and sleepy for the afternoon lessons.
- Some learners carry nothing to eat and spend all day at school on empty stomachs due to the long distance between home and school. Thus they too find most of the afternoon lessons a problem.
- Whereas some feast on cold food and some remain hungry full day at school, some of the learners choose to run back to their homes for usually late prepared lunch and then run back to school burning up all the food they’ve eaten. Thus they reach school tired and hungry again.
As a result;
- At least 40% of school children drop out of school before completing the seventh class remaining illiterate all their lives.
- 60 – 70% of children who complete the seventh class do not qualify to join first world class because of attaining poor grades.
- The 30 – 40% of pupils who obtain good grades after the seventh primary school class, at most 60% of those children are lucky to join first world schools. Many are hindered from being admitted into good schools due to bribery, tribalism and nepotism.
However to a very big scale, many pupils are hindered from progressing beyond primary school level and joining schools where their skills and abilities would be nurtured to benefit both the individuals and the country at large.
POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO HUNGER IN SCHOOL
Providing a nutritous snack to each of the affected school pupils daily.
Why snacks are better?
Compared to preparing food in school where management of food resources and human resource is quite difficult, snacks can be prepared in a central place and distributed to schools ready for consumption by the learners.
MY HUMBLE REQUEST TO YOU
I kindly request you to contribute towards the noble cause of raising 100,000US dollars. This money is meant for the following;
- Legally register a charity organization mainly purposed for feeding hungry school children with the hope that the organization shall attract funding from international funding organizations.
- To start off the feeding programme of the hungry school children in a few schools and the number of schools benefiting from the programme expected to increase immediately the charity organization starts receiving funds.
I thank you so much and may you be blessed.